Overclocking actually seems slower?

Pizzarro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Hello...
This is a follow-up, I guess, to my previous core voltage question.

I have a Soyo Dragon+, XP1600+, and 1 256 Crucial PC2100. I am currently overclocking the fsb to 153 with the multiplier still locked at 10.5 and a vcore of 1.85v. Everything seems to run fine, I even reformatted/reinstalled win2k and a bunch of programs just to try and crunch it. My cpu temp only went up from 32 degrees to 37 degrees.

I haven't done any benchmarks, but programs seem to take a little longer to run than usual. Also, when playing mp3's and installing stuff, I get mp3 lag, which didn't happen before the o/c. My RAM latency is actually 2.5, but it's set in the bios for 2. It's almost like the computer is too fast and it's skipping things. Has anyone seen this before? Everything seems stable. I haven't had any crashes or lockups. Even though it's rating a 1900+ at 1601mhz.
JJ

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try setting the memory to CAS 3, you cant increase the FSB <i>and</i> reduce the latency at the same time, maybe this is the problem!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Pizzarro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Originally, I set the Performance Settings, and Turbo. That dropped the latency to 2 and timer settings. Then I kept Performance, but set Normal, instead of Turbo. The put the memory back to 2.5 and such. That took care of the slowness issues. I have 2.5 ram, so it probably just wasn't smart. I don't think there is a setting of 3, though.
JJ

On many boards this is the case. A lot of chipsets turn off 4/way interleave on the memory,and AGP4x above 140 fsb. Even if you set these in the bios.
Most programs report what is in the bios settings, not what the chipset is actually doing.

I aint signing nothing!!!

TRENDING THREADS