Steam (not a complaint but questions)

JLGreene

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Steam (more questions than complaint)

After searching around the net, I see a lot of forums that have complaints against Steam. I do too but I have questions I would like to research if anyone would be willing to help me out.

I recently had to re-build my son’s computer with new hardware (the original problem was the CPU power cable off the power supply was faulty, but before I knew that I had replaced the motherboard and CPU). Since my re-built system is a major upgrade to what was before it will stay as is.

After that I re-installed the OS. Then I went to install Skyrim, which requires Steam. After logging into Steam a message popped up acknowledging my new hardware and that an email would be sent to me with a verification code.

1. Did at any point Steam release to me a Service Subscriber Agreement or anything of the sort that I accepted that said they could collect this data? (not a big point for me, just want to know the answer to this).

2. Does this process fall under SteamGuard? And if so, was this option to my account set as a default or did I have to set this option myself? Was I ever informed of this process? (Sorry if I don’t know the answers to this myself, my son plays the games, I set up the account so I don’t know every little thing that came across from Steam.

At this point I cannot install the game because the email address on the account is old, and because in my area Verizon was replaced with Frontier and that address had to be switched over. So I will never get that verification code. I opened a ticket with Steam of course. Sorry to say it is taking a long time.

To play Skyrim, the box states, that Steam is required and a free account set up. It also states that a SSA needs to be accepted. When I was installing the game, I read those agreements (you know the ones that every accepts quickly and hits next). Nowhere does it state that if I change hardware that I had to verfiy my system.

I meet every requirement to install and play the game.

1. I bought the game at a retail store with money.

2. I have an internet connection.

3. I have a free Steam account that my login is accepted.

4. I have accepted the SSA presented before me.

I don’t know what can be done if anything, this seems wrong. But I hope someone can answers my questions so I can better understand the situation.

you code has already been used on your 'old' account. you'll need to wait for the ticket to be resolved and then you'll have access again.

as to questions 1&2, don't know the answer, but for 1, if they don't collect hardware info (just like windows does) then your account could very easily be stolen installed on other hardware and yoiu lose everything. But generally accept or don't play, those are the choices, its not a bad system all told.

HOWEVER, if you just log into steam (you still have the password yes?) through a browser then you can change your account settings such as the email address etc.

JLGreene

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

It is the same account and not an old account. I only have one.

No, it's not a bad system, I agree, and I understand the reasons.

The message also refers to not just new hardware but new browser also. I tried logging into my account through the browser to change the email address but got that message. Now what brower did I use before, I don't think it would be worth it to downgrade to IE8, IE7, etc.

JLGreene

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

I wished it was that simple. Below is the pop up box I get when logging in through my browser.

Hello!

We see you're logging in to Steam from a new browser or a new computer. Or maybe it's just been a while...

As an added account security measure, you’ll need to grant access to this browser by entering the special code we’ve just sent to your email address at verizon.net.

I got the message

and I've entered my special access code above

What message?

I don't have any message from Steam Support...

I'm using my old computer, which hasn't been upgrade in years, and the account has been logged into recently (two weeks ago) so the only other option is the browser.

DM186

Splendid
Did you check your spam to see if they sent you the code to verify your new, old, or what ever changed. You can do this thing a few times before it locks up. So if you have tried and didn't catch it in spam.

Then you will have to wait on the ticket. Right now they only have a few people who handle this since there is no boss that works in Steam. So asking to speak to a superviser won't work.

They are all their own boss's. They are also over whelmed with problems so it is going to take a while. Trying to do a whole new everything will not work because the game is tied to that account.

Maybe you could take back the game and see if they will take it. New game new everything. Just food for thought nothing more and I wish you good luck on this. Cheers

JLGreene

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I going to answer my own questions, but thanks for all the replies and suggestions. But I thought I would put the answers just for FYI

SteamGuard started in March 2011.

And according to the Steam website this is how you enable it.

(From Steam Web site)

What is Steam Guard and how does it impact me?
Steam Guard is an additional level of security that can be applied to your Steam account. The first level of security on your account is your login credentials: your Steam account name and password. With Steam Guard, a second level of security is applied to your account, making it harder for your Steam account to fall into the wrong hands.

When Steam Guard is enabled on your account, anyone attempting to login to your Steam account from an unrecognized computer must provide additional authorization. A special access code will be sent to your contact email address, and this code must be entered into Steam before your login is complete.

Once you've verified your email address with Steam, Steam Guard becomes available for your use. Once enabled, you will be required to access your email and provide the special access code from Steam Support when logging into Steam from any computer which we don't recognize.

And according to the last paragraph, to enable SteamGuard I need to verify my email address.

How does this affect my account? If SteamGuard started in March 2011 and my account has a Verizon.net email address (of which I stated no longer exist because of Frontier.com taking over in my area), then the information below from Verizon is interesting.

(From Verizon web site)
ATTENTION CUSTOMERS LOCATED IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
AZ, ID, IL, IN, MI, NV, NC (except Knotts Island), OH, OR, SC, WA, WI, and the following communities in California that border AZ, NV and OR: Big River, Blythe, Coleville, Crescent City, Desert Center, Eagle Mountain, Earp, Felicity, Fort Dick, Gasquet, Klamath, Kneeland, Markleeville, Merced, Needles, Orick, Parker Dam, Ripley, Smith River, Topaz, Trinidad, Vidal and Winterhaven.

As of July 1, your Internet, Telephone and/or Television service was transitioned to Frontier Communications. You will no longer be able to access your account information at www.verizon.com. You can visit Frontier's portal at the following new web address: www.ncnetwork.net to access your Verizon.net email as well as information about your local and long distance voice, internet and/or TV service account information. Please note, the pages on this Frontier portal will be gradually changing from Verizon to Frontier so you will see the Verizon logo on this site until all of the pages have been changed to Frontier.

To access Verizon.net webmail, please visit http://webmail-pn.ncnetwork.net until Frontier notifies you that your email has been moved to Frontier email. Frontier will provide you advance notice before your email is moved during the months of July - September; Verizon will continue to forward email sent to your Verizon.net address until December 31, 2010.

Noting the date of Dec 2010. It would be impossible for me to enable SteamGuard. Was my account hijacked? I doubt it because it was fine till I built a new computer a little over a week ago. That email address does not even exist today either.

DM186

Splendid
Well it sound like you will have to wait on the ticket. I know I had to go through the Steam Guard when I built my new rig. But my E-mail has been the same for over 6 years.

I am sorry you have to go through this what a big hassle, it almost not worth it but you have the game. Unless you but another one and set up a new account with that rig now.

But who has that kind of money to throw around? I wish you the best on this and good luck to you and your son.

You had to opt in to steam guard when it came out, so I assume a family member did it for you. I used a gmail email account since I know that will probably never change. It's never good to use your ISP's email since you can change your ISP. It's better to use gmail, yahoo mail, or some other well known online email service.