Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Home to Pro

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 21, 2010 1:19:10 AM

I just bought a laptop and it came with win7 home can i use the win7 pro disc to upgrade or do i need a specific upgrade disc?

More about : windows home pro

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 1:31:27 AM
Share

You can do an in-place upgrade with "Windows Any Time Upgrade" (Start> search for "Windows Any Time"). Just activate it using the Pro key.
October 21, 2010 1:40:00 AM

Oh great! let me try that out right now.
Related resources
October 21, 2010 2:11:52 AM

That worked. Thanks Shadow.
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 3:44:23 AM

^ Excellent. Just curious, why did you upgrade to Pro? Not many people need the feature in Pro.
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 7:26:03 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Excellent. Just curious, why did you upgrade to Pro? Not many people need the feature in Pro.


Scuse me for jumping in uninvited... :D 

Just as an example, I went for Pro over Home Premium since I wanted XP mode. Thus far I haven't had a need for it, but you never know.
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 6:25:30 PM

I shall jump in myself, I did the upgrade from Home Premium to Pro because I needed the remote desktop tools and functionality.
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 10:00:28 PM

Shadow703793 said:
You can do an in-place upgrade with "Windows Any Time Upgrade" (Start> search for "Windows Any Time"). Just activate it using the Pro key.

^+1
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 10:00:46 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Scuse me for jumping in uninvited... :D 

Just as an example, I went for Pro over Home Premium since I wanted XP mode. Thus far I haven't had a need for it, but you never know.

^+1
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 10:01:03 PM

Snipergod87 said:
I shall jump in myself, I did the upgrade from Home Premium to Pro because I needed the remote desktop tools and functionality.

^+1
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 10:58:38 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Scuse me for jumping in uninvited... :D 

Just as an example, I went for Pro over Home Premium since I wanted XP mode. Thus far I haven't had a need for it, but you never know.

True, but you can always run it via VM (ie VirtualBox,etc). If you have software that doesn't run correctly on Win 7, you are better off getting new/upgraded software.

I went with Pro because I got it free via MSDNAA and MSDN and the school book store only sells Pro for $50-60 (or so, cant remember exact cost, but it was less than $110) :D  .

If you are a student: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/d...
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2010 1:29:34 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Scuse me for jumping in uninvited... :D 

Just as an example, I went for Pro over Home Premium since I wanted XP mode. Thus far I haven't had a need for it, but you never know.


same here but i just use VMware.
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2010 9:11:50 AM

Fair enough. I just went with XP Mode because it integrates so well with the rest of the OS. Running XP and 7 applications side-by-side is extremely cool.
November 1, 2010 12:00:34 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Excellent. Just curious, why did you upgrade to Pro? Not many people need the feature in Pro.



The new 3dsmax requires win7 Pro that's the only reason.
November 1, 2010 12:01:21 AM

Best answer selected by tfizzle.
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2010 12:19:53 AM

tfizzle said:
The new 3dsmax requires win7 Pro that's the only reason.

Good to know. Currently running 3DS 2010.
!