Fax Services - Install Failed - Need Help

November 10, 2004 6:53:01 PM

I just upgraded from XP to XP Pro and the fax services will not install. I
tried to add it from the CD and it goes through the install process, but does
not show up.

The fax console has installed and shows no fax printer installed.

When I attempt to set up faxing in the Printers and Faxes control panel, it
goes through the process and a fax icon is added momentarily and then
disappears.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 10:24:48 PM

From what did you "upgrade" and how?
More to the point, what did you think this upgrade would accomplish?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
>I just upgraded from XP to XP Pro and the fax services will not install. I
> tried to add it from the CD and it goes through the install process, but
> does
> not show up.
>
> The fax console has installed and shows no fax printer installed.
>
> When I attempt to set up faxing in the Printers and Faxes control panel,
> it
> goes through the process and a fax icon is added momentarily and then
> disappears.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thank you in advance.
November 12, 2004 11:07:07 AM

"levitation home" wrote:

> I just upgraded from XP to XP Pro and the fax services will not install. I
> tried to add it from the CD and it goes through the install process, but does
> not show up.
>
> The fax console has installed and shows no fax printer installed.
>
> When I attempt to set up faxing in the Printers and Faxes control panel, it
> goes through the process and a fax icon is added momentarily and then
> disappears.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thank you in advance.
Related resources
November 12, 2004 2:22:04 PM

Have the exact same problem in XP Home SP2.

Fax did work for me at one time, but no longer. I see the exact same
symptoms as described above. I attempt to install the Fax Services from
Add/Remove Programs/Windwos. It appears to install completely, but when I
re-click on Windows Components, the Fax box is still unchecked.

The Fax Group in Start/Accessories/Communications is empty.

I can start the console, but all options on the File menu except Import and
Exit are "greyed" out.

When I go into Printers and Faxes and try to enable Fax Services, the fax
printer appears momentarily on screen during the process, but is not present
at the end. Clicking on "Add a Fax Printer" does nothing at all.

Finally, Fax is not present in Administrative Tools/Services.

"victor" wrote:

> "levitation home" wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded from XP to XP Pro and the fax services will not install. I
> > tried to add it from the CD and it goes through the install process, but does
> > not show up.
> >
> > The fax console has installed and shows no fax printer installed.
> >
> > When I attempt to set up faxing in the Printers and Faxes control panel, it
> > goes through the process and a fax icon is added momentarily and then
> > disappears.
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:39:03 AM

I have a similar problem - -when the wizard starts installing the Fax program
it stops and asks for a path name to fxscfgwz.dll which is supposed to be on
the Winpro installation disc. There is a file on that disc called
fxscfgwz.dl (note the difference in the file extension name). When I type
the path to that file the wizard just recycles and keeps asking the same
question over and over. Where can you go for help on this?

"levitation home" wrote:

> I just upgraded from XP to XP Pro and the fax services will not install. I
> tried to add it from the CD and it goes through the install process, but does
> not show up.
>
> The fax console has installed and shows no fax printer installed.
>
> When I attempt to set up faxing in the Printers and Faxes control panel, it
> goes through the process and a fax icon is added momentarily and then
> disappears.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thank you in advance.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:01:16 AM

Are you manually directing the installation routine to the correct folder?
Is this the same CD that was used to install the OS originally?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar problem - -when the wizard starts installing the Fax
>program
> it stops and asks for a path name to fxscfgwz.dll which is supposed to be
> on
> the Winpro installation disc. There is a file on that disc called
> fxscfgwz.dl (note the difference in the file extension name). When I type
> the path to that file the wizard just recycles and keeps asking the same
> question over and over. Where can you go for help on this?
>
> "levitation home" wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded from XP to XP Pro and the fax services will not install.
>> tried to add it from the CD and it goes through the install process, but
>> does
>> not show up.
>>
>> The fax console has installed and shows no fax printer installed.
>>
>> When I attempt to set up faxing in the Printers and Faxes control panel,
>> it
>> goes through the process and a fax icon is added momentarily and then
>> disappears.
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 2:53:02 PM

Yes to both questions. This is the kind of problem that should be addressed
by Microsoft instead of having to hunt around for an answer to. From all the
posts I have read it appears that installing Service Pack 2 causes a problem
with installing Windows Fax - -

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Are you manually directing the installation routine to the correct folder?
> Is this the same CD that was used to install the OS originally?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a similar problem - -when the wizard starts installing the Fax
> >program
> > it stops and asks for a path name to fxscfgwz.dll which is supposed to be
> > on
> > the Winpro installation disc. There is a file on that disc called
> > fxscfgwz.dl (note the difference in the file extension name). When I type
> > the path to that file the wizard just recycles and keeps asking the same
> > question over and over. Where can you go for help on this?
> >
> > "levitation home" wrote:
> >
> >> I just upgraded from XP to XP Pro and the fax services will not install.
> >> tried to add it from the CD and it goes through the install process, but
> >> does
> >> not show up.
> >>
> >> The fax console has installed and shows no fax printer installed.
> >>
> >> When I attempt to set up faxing in the Printers and Faxes control panel,
> >> it
> >> goes through the process and a fax icon is added momentarily and then
> >> disappears.
> >>
> >> Please advise.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance.

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:31:03 PM

WOOPS! Finally got the program installled! Seems the key was the correct
path which was "D:\i386" Even though the file on the D Disc only had one 'L'
in the suffix the wizard finally figured out what to do with it - - Thanks to
everybody for all the help
Letu

"letu" wrote:

> Yes to both questions. This is the kind of problem that should be addressed
> by Microsoft instead of having to hunt around for an answer to. From all the
> posts I have read it appears that installing Service Pack 2 causes a problem
> with installing Windows Fax - -
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Are you manually directing the installation routine to the correct folder?
> > Is this the same CD that was used to install the OS originally?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a similar problem - -when the wizard starts installing the Fax
> > >program
> > > it stops and asks for a path name to fxscfgwz.dll which is supposed to be
> > > on
> > > the Winpro installation disc. There is a file on that disc called
> > > fxscfgwz.dl (note the difference in the file extension name). When I type
> > > the path to that file the wizard just recycles and keeps asking the same
> > > question over and over. Where can you go for help on this?

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:20:53 PM

You've certainly left out a lot of detail. We can't read minds.
If you have applied Service Packs, these files may have been moved to a
different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
routine to that folder.

--

> Yes to both questions. This is the kind of problem that should be
> addressed
> by Microsoft instead of having to hunt around for an answer to. From all
> the
> posts I have read it appears that installing Service Pack 2 causes a
> problem
> with installing Windows Fax - -
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Are you manually directing the installation routine to the correct
>> folder?
>> Is this the same CD that was used to install the OS originally?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a similar problem - -when the wizard starts installing the Fax
>> >program
>> > it stops and asks for a path name to fxscfgwz.dll which is supposed to
>> > be
>> > on
>> > the Winpro installation disc. There is a file on that disc called
>> > fxscfgwz.dl (note the difference in the file extension name). When I
>> > type
>> > the path to that file the wizard just recycles and keeps asking the
>> > same
>> > question over and over. Where can you go for help on this?

December 19, 2004 6:20:54 PM

To finish my role in this discussion.

After extensive correspondence with Microsoft, it was suggested that I try a
Windows XP repair installation by inserting the XP CD during a Windows
session and proceding from there. Unfortunately, this failed because my
version of Windows was later then the CD's (I had SP-2 installed.) I was then
asked to uninstall SP2 and run the repair. After backing up all of my data, I
did this. I was able to see my fax printer after this, but so many other XP
features were disabled (e.g., could no longer burn CD's), that I was left
with no option but to perform a clean install. First I installed a new,
larger hard disk and a DVD burner. Ran Files and Transfer wizard and saved to
a DVD-RW. Ran another backup program, and saved all documentions, and
settings to another DVD.
Installed the new HD as my new master HD and installed XP on this.
Immediately installed SP2 on this. Installation succeeded, but neither my USB
Mouse nor Keyboard was functional. Reformatted and tried again - this time
the keyboard worked, but not the mouse. Downloaded and installed the latest
Intellipoint software. Mouse worked - all else was fine, and is two weeks
later.

Not sure what to conclude, except the best way to install SP2 is on a clean
install, before adding other software. Drastic, but ultimately, I have a
faster, cleaner machine.

PS - one other precaution. As soon as SP2 was insatlled, I installed Norton
Ghost and created an image of my root directioy on a DVD-R. If I have to
format again, at least I can restore this iamge, and have that must less to
do. I cotinue to create updated Ghost Images on DVD every two weeks or so of
my root and program partitions, and other backups daily of my data
partitions.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You've certainly left out a lot of detail. We can't read minds.
> If you have applied Service Packs, these files may have been moved to a
> different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
> routine to that folder.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> "letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes to both questions. This is the kind of problem that should be
> > addressed
> > by Microsoft instead of having to hunt around for an answer to. From all
> > the
> > posts I have read it appears that installing Service Pack 2 causes a
> > problem
> > with installing Windows Fax - -
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you manually directing the installation routine to the correct
> >> folder?
> >> Is this the same CD that was used to install the OS originally?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 7:39:11 PM

Remind us again what your installation sequence was. Were you trying to
install Fax for the first time after SP2 was installed or was fax installed
but then disabled by SP2?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To finish my role in this discussion.
>
> After extensive correspondence with Microsoft, it was suggested that I try
> Windows XP repair installation by inserting the XP CD during a Windows
> session and proceding from there. Unfortunately, this failed because my
> version of Windows was later then the CD's (I had SP-2 installed.) I was
> then
> asked to uninstall SP2 and run the repair. After backing up all of my
> data, I
> did this. I was able to see my fax printer after this, but so many other
> XP
> features were disabled (e.g., could no longer burn CD's), that I was left
> with no option but to perform a clean install. First I installed a new,
> larger hard disk and a DVD burner. Ran Files and Transfer wizard and saved
> a DVD-RW. Ran another backup program, and saved all documentions, and
> settings to another DVD.
> Installed the new HD as my new master HD and installed XP on this.
> Immediately installed SP2 on this. Installation succeeded, but neither my
> USB
> Mouse nor Keyboard was functional. Reformatted and tried again - this time
> the keyboard worked, but not the mouse. Downloaded and installed the
> latest
> Intellipoint software. Mouse worked - all else was fine, and is two weeks
> later.
>
> Not sure what to conclude, except the best way to install SP2 is on a
> clean
> install, before adding other software. Drastic, but ultimately, I have a
> faster, cleaner machine.
>
> PS - one other precaution. As soon as SP2 was insatlled, I installed
> Norton
> Ghost and created an image of my root directioy on a DVD-R. If I have to
> format again, at least I can restore this iamge, and have that must less
> do. I cotinue to create updated Ghost Images on DVD every two weeks or so
> of
> my root and program partitions, and other backups daily of my data
> partitions.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You've certainly left out a lot of detail. We can't read minds.
>> If you have applied Service Packs, these files may have been moved to a
>> different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
>> routine to that folder.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> "letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes to both questions. This is the kind of problem that should be
>> > addressed
>> > by Microsoft instead of having to hunt around for an answer to. From
>> > all
>> > the
>> > posts I have read it appears that installing Service Pack 2 causes a
>> > problem
>> > with installing Windows Fax - -

October 18, 2009 11:33:19 PM

why is it so hard to get a straight answer about How to install faxing on XP PRO?
October 18, 2009 11:39:14 PM

Quote:

"letu" wrote:

> Yes to both questions. This is the kind of problem that should be addressed
> by Microsoft instead of having to hunt around for an answer to. From all the
> posts I have read it appears that installing Service Pack 2 causes a problem
> with installing Windows Fax - -
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Are you manually directing the installation routine to the correct folder?
> > Is this the same CD that was used to install the OS originally?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "letu" <letu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a similar problem - -when the wizard starts installing the Fax
> > >program
> > > it stops and asks for a path name to fxscfgwz.dll which is supposed to be
> > > on
> > > the Winpro installation disc. There is a file on that disc called
> > > fxscfgwz.dl (note the difference in the file extension name). When I type
> > > the path to that file the wizard just recycles and keeps asking the same
> > > question over and over. Where can you go for help on this?

So- explain in detail on how you got your fax to work on xp pro>
!