Fanbus/Baybus

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hey,

Anyone got any experience with a decent fanbus/baybus?

I'm going to need to control 6-8 fans, but not necesssarily individually. Ideally I can rack this in a 5.25" or 3.5" bay, however I'd like something a bit more up-market than the clunk switches I've seen. Maybe 3 or 4 rheostats with a cool knob or something?

Help/ideas appreciated. Doing a search on fanbus/baybus on yahoo is like doing a search for the word 'the'.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The baybus is cheaper then that Rheostat. PCmods makes some really great stuff. I have the Baybus and have found that it does the same basic thing as the rheostat. But the best rheostat that's available can be found in many places, but I would look at <A HREF="http://www.pcmods.com" target="_new">http://www.pcmods.com</A>.

I like the baybus cause it was cheap and it works really well. You have what they call trim pot switches that allow you to make one of the three positions as slow as you want the fan. It has three positions. All the way on, off, and whatever you set the pot switch to. It also has two colored LED's. I would have picked a different color, but they are red and green. Not too bad.

Anyhow, I think the baybus can be had for $20US and the rheostat can be had for around $50-60US.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi Lars,

Thanks for the hookup, went with the Rheobus in the end as I wanted the extra juice. The new case I'm getting has rather a lot of fans, but I want to run them a little quieter and I'll have them (8) batched in 4 pairs for control.

Shipping was very steep, but I can't be bothered to put it together and the unit wasn't far off what I'd worked out in parts elsewhere. I'll pay the shipping to save me the time.

Just need to sort out the drilling next....

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu