Wake on Modem (Onboard) vs. PCI Modem

Rynthar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
Is it worth spending the extra 80 bucks on a great PCI modem, or should I just use the onboard modem on the Asus A7V8X. I am probably getting cable no later then March, so by the time i build this comp (late nov) not sure if it would be worth it. But I also dont want a slow modem. Any suggestions? Also, is it easier to use PCI over onboard or vice versa.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if the onboard modem is a hardware modem, dont worry about it. if it is a software modem (winmodem) you may bennefit from a good modem. you shouldnt have to pay 80 bucks for a modem. a usr modem can be had for 50 bucks, dont know about wom though.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
It's almost certainly not worth bothering getting a PCI modem, even if the onboard one is a 'soft' Winmodem.

The performance issues associated with these devices are largely irrelevant now. Line quality is much more important.

My advice is use the onboard device. If you have problems with connection speed or holding the connection, then <i>try</i> (ie borrow, don't buy) a quality PCI or external device. It may possibly improve things.