USB, and help on server Linux setup?

G

I'm a newbie at linux, in fact I don't even have linux installed or even know what it looks like once its installed, but I have my hard drive all partioned correctly with 6gb for the Linux space and 400mb Linux swap partion, and a 22gb Win98SE OS partion. Now my question is when I install RH Linux 7 will my mouse work? I have a USB Microsoft optical Intellimouse Explorer, it runs off the USB port but also has the PS/2 adapter I use the USB version because I think its better performance in games and such plus it just feels smoother, or maybe I just think it does....anyways I was wondering do i need to go dig out that PS/2 converter to use my mouse in Linux or is there native support for it? Or is there any easy support for it, and even if USB is supported will I be able to succesfully install and/or use my Intellimoouse at all? Also furthermore I have a question about setting up a server computer, in a couple months once I get a grip on Linux I'm gonna build a Linux dedicated game/webpage/FTP server box (any suggestions on the destro I should use, is Red Hat good or is there one that's a lot better for game server), I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on the system specs for that currently I'm thinking about a 1ghz athlon, 20gb harddrive, 512 PC133 ram, any suggestions or changes, basically I want to know what can I run on this server comfortably without being shot for performance, I want to try and run a 16max person Counter-Strike game server and a 12 person Quake3 server, this will be on a T1 line...will those system specs handle it comfortably, or should I just go with one server also if I got with just one game running as a server would I be able to comfortably host a web server or an FTP without running into to much of a performance shot?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Whew! I need some paragraphs in there so I can keep track of where I am.....getting old is tough.

Your mouse will work just fine. I've got a laptop that linux doesn't like the usb port on, and won't recognize my pcmcia usb card. But on my desktop, everything is just ducky. There will be a <font color=red> steep</font color=red> (read: undefined) learning curve going from windows to Linux. You'll want to get a Linux 'bible' down at the local bookstore/warehouse. Things are in completely different locations, and not everything is automatic. It's really nice once you get to know your way around, but starting out, you can absolutely crash the system by messing around with options.

You can dual boot on that 20gig drive if you need a little help off the net while learning your way around Linux.

G

I’ve definetly been told learning Linux has a major learning curve and I hope I’ve been preparing myself enough reading up on it somewhat while I wait for my Linux books to come in the mail. I’ve ordered 2 books Red Hat Linux 7 Unleashed (It’s supposed to be a beginners guide that teaches how to install etc. and then goes into advanced setup of Red Hat and Linux in general it’s 1000+ pages so I hope its helpful) The second one I got was Red Hat System Administrator Unleashed (I figured this would be good once I get good at things this from what I’ve read of the description is some of the more advanced Red Hat Linux stuff anymore suggestions for Linux newbie reading and what books should I get once I get more advanced?)
So far I’ve used Partion Magic Pro 6.0 to handle all my portioning situations, and that comes with bootmagic which runs every time my computer starts and I’ve set the Linux Partion as the Linux startup so once I get my CD’s with the books I’ll boot up from the CD (or where can I find info on making a boot startup disk for Red Hat 7), then I can just install on that 6gb partion which should give me room to play around with Linux and install and toy with some apps.
Once I get going then I can build my server computer, basically I’m hoping to learn enough about Linux to setup a computer with the basics and then run one server application that should be basically automated and shouldn’t require to much tweaking I hope? Has anyone out there ever ran a game server on Linux like Quake3 or Half-life? Then later on down the road I can learn the more technical side and become a Linux Guru haha. -Doug

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I've got the RH Unleashed. It's the thickest one I saw, and the poor checkout girl thought I was a psycho. It's good to go; get a highliter. Plan on crashing/locking up linux at least twice. The dual boot will come in handy at least once.

I've heard of many people running Quake servers, and I think one or two running Counter-Strike/Halflife servers.

G

I have no less than probably 4-5 books on Linux, and the Sams unleashed does give a pretty good overview. It doesn't always go to the level of detail I want sometimes, though totally understandable, given the breadth of unix.

Walnut Creek also has a Linux reference that I think has all of the HOW-TOs in a couple of books, which I find very helpful as a reference. Check out http://www.wccdrom.com/titles/linux/linref_bk.phtml.

I know you can get most of the same stuff from www.linuxdoc.org, but I like having the reference to read when I don't have my computer handy (okay, I know I could print them out, too, but I like the book anyway). I've also run an Unreal Tournament server from my cable modem connection in the past.

- BarfArf