Windows 8 and Renesas USB 3.0

urbaneremite

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
This is for an Alienware X51 Desktop.

I ran the upgrade assistant and it showed no issues for me to upgrade to Windows 8.

I performed a clean install from DVD and everything was recognized fine except the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller.

Dell has Windows 8 drivers for the USB 3 on the website so I tried to install them and get a code 10 device could not start. So I tried the Windows drivers from Windows update and same thing.

I have uninstalled, and disabled and restarted so many times. The renesas electronics website is useless.

I really do use my USB 3.0 and it may be a deal breaker for Windows 8 do you have any suggestions?

The sad thing is this is my job, I am deskside support for my company and I can't find an answer, which leads me to believe that this isn't fixable right now, and maybe has to wait until a later date when new drivers are put out.

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
does the USB port actually work at the moment? I have a few USB3 ports on my PC that needed the renesas software/drivers in windows 7. when I did a clean install of 8 it picked the drivers automatically, If I remember correctly Windows didn't download anything, it just worked automatically . I remember it mentioning that it was running on USB3 (USB3 device connected to it).

I have Renesas USB 3.0 on my laptop and it works fine with the native drivers. Check and see if there's a firmware update for the USB controller or for your motherboard

tzarot

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Same problem.

USB VERBATIM 3.0 Drive cannot connect.
In fact Connects-Disconnects constantly in 1 sec repeatable interval.

On a machine with: mobo ASUS M4A77D, Athlon 64, Windows 8 Pro 32Bit

During Windows7 worked OK.

The add-on USB3 controller is recognized as Renesas USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller....

The "funny" thing is that when I connect a USB3 Kingston USB16Gb drive it connects OK.

urbaneremite

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

No it does not work, it does not recognize the hard drive plugged in.

tzarot

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
SOLVED

In my case I opened the PC and I had to look at the PCI-e add-on controller that had the following label: PU 3020N2

I Google it and found the page of the manufacturer: http://www.goodway.com.tw/support-ca.asp#

1. I downloaded the PU3020 drivers from there and installed them. The driver installs in a directory in ProgramFiles folder.

2. Then Reboot

3. After this I went to Device Manager and updated the "Renesas USB3.0 Driver ..." to use the driver that I picked from the specified directory above. (Nec Electronics USB 3.0 Controller)

The tricky thing is that you have to force windows to use the specified driver so you first have to choose "Browse my computer for..." and then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers...".
After this in Device manager the Controller says "Nec Electronics USB 3.0 Controller" instead of "Renesas USB3.0 eXtensible..." and after this the removable drive I use a Verbatim 47660 1Tb plugs in and works.

Hope I helped. Good Luck

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

I know this thread is a little old, but I figured I'd respond in case anyone else wound up here after searching...

I find that the best place to look for drivers like this is Station-Drivers: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/drivers.htm

They have almost every driver I've ever needed! I have USB 3.0 controllers from THREE manufacturers in my latest build: Intel, Asmedia, and Renesas. Station-Drivers has the drivers for all three!

On Windows 8, BTW, there is no extra driver for the Intel USB 3.0 controller. It's supported by Windows 8 out of the box, and Intel has made the decision to not distribute their own driver for Windows 8.

In addition to drivers, Station-Drivers almost always has the latest firmware as well, making it pretty much a one stop shop! :love:

You'll find the latest Renesas USB 3.0 drivers AND firmware at: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm

Hope this helps!

markcusp

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Gee thanks Geok, saved me lots of time. StarTech driver for the Renesas / NEC USB 3.0 controller did not work but Station-Drivers.com driver version worked like a charm. Saved me from dealing with their lame tech support!!!
Markcusp

HaroldTheBarrel

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

tzarot, I need your help. I've win8 and a Verbatim HDD too, but I can't make working it with USB 3.0. Your procedure doesn't wokr.

Gzy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I've gotten drivers+firmware from Bytecc's website, as well as station-drivers website.. however, I cannot successfully execute the firmware update; each time I try to run it, it tells me "Not found the host controoler"... :-/

What I am trying to work with is a Corsair Voyager Slider 8GB USB 3.0 flash drive. When I use the flash drive in the Lenovo Yoga with Intel USB 3.0 controller, I have no problems!.. the flash drive is recognized and connects as USB 3.0, however, when I put this SAME flash drive into the into my desktop with Renesas USB 3.0 controller, I get a notification pop-up telling me that the "USB device is not recognized" :-(... If I go into Windows 8 Charms>PC settings>Devices, it shows me my device, "Slider 3.0" and beneath it it says "Driver Error"; if I pull out this Corsair USB 3.0 flash drive, and insert my Patriot Magnum 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive, it works perfectly fine-so I know the flash drive works in Windows 8, just seems like the Corsair USB 3.0 flash drive ONLY works with the Intel USB 3.0 controller??!!

I've been struggling with this for weeks now :-/...

I've tried the driver update and the driver+firmware update on Bytecc's website.. at most windows tells me the driver installed is the latest, or in the Device Manager I get a yellow caution icon, or I try to manually install the driver and I get an error code 10 and windows tells me the device cannot turn on -OR- it tells me USB Controller cannot be found..??!!.. I even tried the Renesas driver directly from Intel but after installing it all I get is more yellow caution icons :-/

Please advise, thank you!

TRENDING THREADS