What fans would you recommend for an Antec SX1000 case?

G

<A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/var_sohoser.html" target="_new"> This</A> is the case I'm getting. It's different from the other models because it doesn't come with a power supply. (I bought an Enermax Whisper 430W power supply separately). The case has 4 80mm fan mounts. It comes with 2 80mm sleeve bearing fans in the rear. There's room for 2 other fans: 1 in front and 1 near the lower hard drive bay.

Ok, now for my questions.

1) Are the 2 rear fans that come with the case any good? I can buy better fans if it's worth it.

2) What's the difference between sleeve bearing and ball bearing fans? Which is better and why?

3) Do I need to buy fans with 3-pin or 4-pin connectors?

4) Which brand and model of 80mm fans are best for around $10 USD?

5) What specific qualities should I look for in a fan? Like CFM, dBA, and RPM. For instance, look at these fans.

Sunon KD1208PTB2
39 CFM @ 32 dBA
2900 RPM

Papst 8412NGL
19.5 CFM @ 12 dBA
1500 RPM

First of all, I don't know what CFM means. I know the Sunon is louder than the Papst. But I can't tell how loud they are without hearing them first. What is the highest dBA that a quiet fan should have, before it's considered loud?

Thanks for helping this confused n00b :)

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Loudness is a matter of one's own preference. Some people as myself don't really care if it is a little loud but I do have a threashold. Look at <A HREF="http://www.dataaire.com/heatexch/sound.html" target="_new">this</A> link for a small list of noises and their specific db levels.(Scroll to the bottom of the link.)

<b>"I'll have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich." - Fletch</b> :lol:

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
1) Are the 2 rear fans that come with the case any good? I can buy better fans if it's worth it.

They're okay, but you can do better.

2) What's the difference between sleeve bearing and ball bearing fans? Which is better and why?

Ball bearing fans are less likely to sieze up. They last longer. If you're looking to use these fans beyond 2 years then I would recommend ball bearing fans.

3) Do I need to buy fans with 3-pin or 4-pin connectors?

Depends. 3-pin plug directly into your motherboard. 4 pin plug directly into your power supply. To use 3 pin you have to have available plugs on you motherboard. Advantages of 3 pin are that you can control the voltage sent to them through the mobo, slowing them down to reduce noise and speeding them up when the mobo temp sensor registers a "dangerously high" case temp.

The power supply that you have chosen has plenty of 4-pin connectors. You didn't state what mobo you are using, but most will have one or two extra 3-pin connectors (not including the one for your CPU HSF). Of course, you can always buy splitters (to run 2 fans from one connector) or converters (to be able to plug a 3-pin socket into a 4 pin conector or vice versa). They'll cost you a couple of bucks extra.

My recommendation: IF your mobo has enough connectors and IF your noise comfort level is low and IF the fans you choose are noisy then get 3-pin connectors. You'll probably have to get a splitters or two to run all 4 fans. Also, this case is pretty big. The two fans in the back may not be able to reach any connectors on the mobo. In that case go with 4 pin cause hey, they're sitting right next to the power supply.

4) Which brand and model of 80mm fans are best for around $10 USD?

Sunnon and Pabst are some of the best brands.

5) What specific qualities should I look for in a fan? Like CFM, dBA, and RPM.

CFM = cubic feet per minute. It's a measure of how much air this fan can move. The higher the better.

dBA = decabels of noise. How much noise a fan makes. The lower the better.

RPM = Rotations Per Minute. This is a measure of how fast the fan spins. The speed of the fans affects the other two measurements, dBA and CFM. You can pretty well ignore the RPM's and pay attention instead to the CFM and dBA levels.

Generally, higher CFM equals higher dBA (and also equals higher RPM, but you can ignore that). There are some exceptions.

6) What is the highest dBA that a quiet fan should have, before it's considered loud?

dBA is highly subjective. Some people are confortable with 35 dBA and other cringe if you go above 25. Basically anything under 25 you won't even notice unless you concentrate. between 25 and 35 you'll know that it's there but it shouldn't bother you too much. Over 40 and you'll wish you had earmuffs. When you get to 50 dBA they'll start hearing it next door. 90 dBA's is as high as you can go before you start damaging your eardrums. Most rock concerts are in the 90-120 dBA range.

Also, dBA's are incremental. In other words, if you get 2 fans running at 20 dBA's, when you run both at once you'll be making about 24 dBA's. I'm not sure of the exact formula.

Since you are planning on using 4 fans plus the 2 in the powsupply you can get away with using quieter, less powerfull fans. I would shoot for CFM higher than 20 and dBA's less than 20.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.