Has the "improved" PTT been introduced?

I was just wondering about the status of the improved PTT that Verizon was
supposed to (or has introduced already) is? In general how is the PTT
service? I used to have Nextel...liked the PTT features but they just had
such poor coverage. Anyone using PTT that can comment on it? Any info
would be appreciated!

Bob

"Bob A" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I was just wondering about the status of the improved PTT that Verizon was
>supposed to (or has introduced already) is? In general how is the PTT
>service? I used to have Nextel...liked the PTT features but they just had
>such poor coverage. Anyone using PTT that can comment on it? Any info
>would be appreciated!
>
> Bob

For the life of me I can't understand why this PTT thing is wanted by some!
It's annoying to hear those 'beeps' when out in public and I don't want to
bother pushing a button all the time to talk to someone. I got that out of
my system back in my CB days!

Can you or anyone tell me why PTT is desirable?? Other than to annoy others?

> It is actually quite handy for short conversations, or conversations where a
> few minutes of research might be needed to provide an answer (no need to tie
> up the phone during that time).

Why is this handy though considering that Verizon has free in
network calling? If you need to have a short conversation, why not just
call the person since it is free? I'm trying to understand the advantage
of this.

JM

In news:slrnd3bekr.pj.johnny@project-w.com,
Johnny Musacha <johnny@w.com> typed:
>> It is actually quite handy for short conversations, or conversations
>> where a few minutes of research might be needed to provide an answer
>> (no need to tie up the phone during that time).
>
> Why is this handy though considering that Verizon has free in
> network calling? If you need to have a short conversation, why not
> just call the person since it is free? I'm trying to understand the
> advantage of this.
>
> JM

If you don't want to tie up the phone just hang up and call back. ;-)

part of the reason people like it is that they can contact with people
quickly and don't have to look down to dial. It's short sweet and easy to
use, not to mention, that with IN you still have to call someone, dial the
phone and if you need to call them multiple times, it's a bitch to keep
dialing them again and again for something simple such as grocery shopping
or home repairs.

Capt.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:55:53 -0600, Capn wrote:

> part of the reason people like it is that they can contact with people
> quickly and don't have to look down to dial.

That's why voice dialing was invented.

> It's short sweet and easy to
> use, not to mention, that with IN you still have to call someone, dial the
> phone and if you need to call them multiple times, it's a bitch to keep
> dialing them again and again for something simple such as grocery shopping
> or home repairs.
>
> Capt.

Not for me. I call the wife and talk for as long as I want with IN. No
need to re-dial at all. And, with a belt holster and headset, I don't even
have to hold the phone and keep hitting the PTT button.

IMO, PTT is a gimmick to bring in more revenue for the carriers.

> IMO, PTT is a gimmick to bring in more revenue for the carriers.

I have seen people that have Nextel use it for group stuff. For example
if an issue arises, a support team member can PTT to the entire support
team in one go. That is far easier than calling each person individually
and especially useful if people are away from their desks.

Roger

"Johnny Musacha" <johnny@w.com> wrote in message
> > It is actually quite handy for short conversations, or conversations
where a
> > few minutes of research might be needed to provide an answer (no need to
tie
> > up the phone during that time).
>
> Why is this handy though considering that Verizon has free in
> network calling? If you need to have a short conversation, why not just
> call the person since it is free? I'm trying to understand the advantage
> of this.

By the time a normal cell phone call has started ringing on the other end,
I'm done with my PTT conversation.

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"CellGuy" <cellguy@seemessagebody.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:55:53 -0600, Capn wrote:
>
> > part of the reason people like it is that they can contact with people
> > quickly and don't have to look down to dial.
>
> That's why voice dialing was invented.
>
> > It's short sweet and easy to
> > use, not to mention, that with IN you still have to call someone, dial
the
> > phone and if you need to call them multiple times, it's a bitch to keep
> > dialing them again and again for something simple such as grocery
shopping
> > or home repairs.
> >
> > Capt.
>
> Not for me. I call the wife and talk for as long as I want with IN. No
> need to re-dial at all. And, with a belt holster and headset, I don't
even
> have to hold the phone and keep hitting the PTT button.
>
> IMO, PTT is a gimmick to bring in more revenue for the carriers.

The welfare recipients in my city all prefer PTT--they think it's so kewl to
show off their beeping phone handsets, while waiting at the counter for
change from their foodstamps.

No kidding. People paying with welfare cards (in Pennsylvania they get
something like a credit card, and they can pay at a debit card terminal),
and they all seem to have PTT phones, even the teens!

They also drive better cars than I do.

I must be in the wrong racket.

In news:c9WdnSMIesDer6vfRVn-3g@adelphia.com,
Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> typed:
> "Johnny Musacha" <johnny@w.com> wrote in message
>>> It is actually quite handy for short conversations, or
>>> conversations where a few minutes of research might be needed to
>>> provide an answer (no need to tie up the phone during that time).
>>
>> Why is this handy though considering that Verizon has free in
>> network calling? If you need to have a short conversation, why not
>> just call the person since it is free? I'm trying to understand the
>> advantage of this.
>>
> By the time a normal cell phone call has started ringing on the other
> end, I'm done with my PTT conversation.

When using PTT, how do you control who you are going to talk to when you
push the button?

> In news:c9WdnSMIesDer6vfRVn-3g@adelphia.com,
> Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> typed:
> > "Johnny Musacha" <johnny@w.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Why is this handy though considering that Verizon has free in
> >> network calling? If you need to have a short conversation, why not
> >> just call the person since it is free? I'm trying to understand the
> >> advantage of this.
> >>
> > By the time a normal cell phone call has started ringing on the other
> > end, I'm done with my PTT conversation.
>
> When using PTT, how do you control who you are going to talk to when you
> push the button?

I go to the same directory that contains the regular phone numbers- with
PTT, I am connected to the other user before a regular call to the same
person can be connected.

Scott Stephenson wrote:
> "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> In news:c9WdnSMIesDer6vfRVn-3g@adelphia.com,
>> Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net>
>> typed:
>>> "Johnny Musacha" <johnny@w.com> wrote in message

>>> By the time a normal cell phone call has started
>>> ringing on the other end, I'm done with my PTT
>>> conversation.
>>
>> When using PTT, how do you control who you are going to
>> talk to when you push the button?
>
> I go to the same directory that contains the regular
> phone numbers- with PTT, I am connected to the other user
> before a regular call to the same person can be connected.

I think the question was more of how do you set up groups
to PTT.

-Quick

> Scott Stephenson wrote:
> > "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >> In news:c9WdnSMIesDer6vfRVn-3g@adelphia.com,
> >> Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net>
> >> typed:

> >> When using PTT, how do you control who you are going to
> >> talk to when you push the button?
> >
> > I go to the same directory that contains the regular
> > phone numbers- with PTT, I am connected to the other user
> > before a regular call to the same person can be connected.
>
> I think the question was more of how do you set up groups
> to PTT.

Can't do groups on VZW- that's a Nextel thing.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:54:41 -0700, "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>By the time a normal cell phone call has started ringing on the other end,
>I'm done with my PTT conversation.

And if you do it in public, pissed off everyone around you because we
had to hear the whole damn conversation, beep included!

PTT is such an annoying toy service!

Dave

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:54:41 -0700, "Scott Stephenson"
> <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>

> >By the time a normal cell phone call has started ringing on the other
end,
> >I'm done with my PTT conversation.
>
> And if you do it in public, pissed off everyone around you because we
> had to hear the whole damn conversation, beep included!

You should read the entire thread- my phone NEVER beeps and you would never
know I wasn't on a normal call. Your cute little ringtone causes more of an
annoyance than my PTT conversations.

> PTT is such an annoying toy service!

And saying that shows your ignorance of the technology.

I hit Send to redial the last dialed number... no different than hitting the
PTT button. Or I can use voice dialing or speed dialing. (When you use PTT,
don't you have to tell it who to PTT, or does it only work to one other
phone? or to all phones at once on your account?)

"CellGuy" <cellguy@seemessagebody.com> wrote in message

>> It's short sweet and easy to
>> use, not to mention, that with IN you still have to call someone, dial
>> the
>> phone and if you need to call them multiple times, it's a bitch to keep
>> dialing them again and again for something simple such as grocery
>> shopping
>> or home repairs.
>>
>> Capt.
>
> Not for me. I call the wife and talk for as long as I want with IN. No
> need to re-dial at all. And, with a belt holster and headset, I don't
> even
> have to hold the phone and keep hitting the PTT button.
>
> IMO, PTT is a gimmick to bring in more revenue for the carriers.

While it might make sense for a business, I see a lot of not business types
using it- or using it for non-business stuff.

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
>> IMO, PTT is a gimmick to bring in more revenue for the carriers.
>
> I have seen people that have Nextel use it for group stuff. For example
> if an issue arises, a support team member can PTT to the entire support
> team in one go. That is far easier than calling each person individually
> and especially useful if people are away from their desks.
>
> Roger

and what happens if the other person doesn't answer the phone or are you
able to just start speaking and hope they (and no one else) hears what you
say? Don't they have to answer or it keeps beeping, which can be as annoying
as the dumb ring tones?

"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>> Why is this handy though considering that Verizon has free in
>> network calling? If you need to have a short conversation, why not just
>> call the person since it is free? I'm trying to understand the advantage
>> of this.
>>
> By the time a normal cell phone call has started ringing on the other end,
> I'm done with my PTT conversation.

I think the question was in response to this statement by Capn

"part of the reason people like it is that they can contact with people
quickly and don't have to look down to dial. "

You still need to look at something - and most of us already use voice,
speed, or directory dialing, 2 of which need at least a glance to dial.

>> I go to the same directory that contains the regular
>> phone numbers- with PTT, I am connected to the other user
>> before a regular call to the same person can be connected.
>
> I think the question was more of how do you set up groups
> to PTT.
>
> -Quick

rod

> The welfare recipients in my city all prefer PTT--they think it's so kewl
> show off their beeping phone handsets, while waiting at the counter for
> change from their foodstamps.
>
> No kidding. People paying with welfare cards (in Pennsylvania they get
> something like a credit card, and they can pay at a debit card terminal),
> and they all seem to have PTT phones, even the teens!
>
> They also drive better cars than I do.
>
> I must be in the wrong racket.

"Where you at?"

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message

> > The welfare recipients in my city all prefer PTT--they think it's so
kewl
> > show off their beeping phone handsets, while waiting at the counter for
> > change from their foodstamps.
> >
> > No kidding. People paying with welfare cards (in Pennsylvania they get
> > something like a credit card, and they can pay at a debit card
terminal),
> > and they all seem to have PTT phones, even the teens!
> >
> > They also drive better cars than I do.
> >
> > I must be in the wrong racket.
> >

> "Where you at?"

PHI-DEFFI, PA

"Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message news:FYBZd.19550$YD4.6716@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

>> The welfare recipients in my city all prefer PTT--they think it's so kewl
>> show off their beeping phone handsets, while waiting at the counter for
>> change from their foodstamps.
>>
>> No kidding. People paying with welfare cards (in Pennsylvania they get
>> something like a credit card, and they can pay at a debit card terminal),
>> and they all seem to have PTT phones, even the teens!
>>
>> They also drive better cars than I do.
>>
>> I must be in the wrong racket.
>>

> "Where you at?"

Don't you mean "What's your 20"?

rod

"John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message
"Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message

>> The welfare recipients in my city all prefer PTT--they think it's so kewl
>> show off their beeping phone handsets, while waiting at the counter for
>> change from their foodstamps.
>>
>> No kidding. People paying with welfare cards (in Pennsylvania they get
>> something like a credit card, and they can pay at a debit card terminal),
>> and they all seem to have PTT phones, even the teens!
>>
>> They also drive better cars than I do.
>>
>> I must be in the wrong racket.
>>

> "Where you at?"

Don't you mean "What's your 20"?

Actually "Where you at?" is from the Boost Mobile commercial.

"Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message news:jEEZd.19660$YD4.13841@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

> "John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message
> "Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Where you at?"
>
> Don't you mean "What's your 20"?
>
> Actually "Where you at?" is from the Boost Mobile commercial.

Ah, so. Haven't seen that.
I just thought PTTers were unrequited CBers.

"cricket" <cricket23@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> I don't know about the beeps because I never notice them... but why does
it
> seem like it only works on speakerphone?

Could it be because those are the only times you notice it?

>It's more annoying than a cell call
> in a restaurant because you can easily overhear *both* sides of the
> conversation.

No more annoying than a regular call on speaker.

TRENDING THREADS