winnt4 server and xppro network speed

Saturday we installed two xp pro machines on a LAN. today I added the XP
machines to the domain from the workgroup. Now the network is dreadfully
slow. Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Should I put them back to the workgroup? TIF.

The first thing to try is to turn XP's firewall OFF. With XP-SP1 and
earlier, the Internet Connection Firewall will prevent necessary
communications between the XP client machines and the NT Domain controller
resulting in a BrowseMaster election being forced every 5 minutes. This
will noticeably slow down the network as all the computers waste time on
endless BrowseMaster elections. If this solves the problem, you'll need to
open up the appropriate ports in the ICF firewall. Note that the Firewall
included with XP-SP2 doesn't exhibit this behavior in an NT Domain
environment.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com