SP2 and default printer

November 14, 2004 5:55:04 PM

I have a problem with the default printer staying selected since SP2. Never
had this problem with SP1. This a Dell 8100 with XP reinstalled on a
reformatted drive. XP had no problem setting up HP LaserJet 4L as the local
printer using the parallal port. I updated drivers then applied SP2.

All went well and I updated XP before doing anything further. Rest of programs
installed with no problems including Office 2002. Left firewall off for a
few days to be certain all was well.

Set up a connection through another machine (not yet on SP2) on my network
to a USB Epson C-64. No matter how many times I select the LaserJet 4L to be
the default, for no apparent reason every day or so it changes to the Epson.

I've read here the opposite occuring where a local printer being the first
to be the default and not the networked but mine is the oposite.

I would think that the local printer would be recognized well before the
netwoek machine and printer.

Marc

Thanks,
Marc

More about : sp2 default printer

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 9:23:01 AM

Marc,

Did you get your printer problem resolved?? I am having the same sort of
issue but I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 which is connected by Parallel and
an HP 2210 All-in-one connected by USB and I want the epson to be the default
but my computer (XP Home SP2) revertes back to my HP after I reboot. I maen I
can make the Epson the default but after I reboot it goes back to my hp?? Any
ideas if you got your issue resloved would be great!

Dean

"Marc43" wrote:

> I have a problem with the default printer staying selected since SP2. Never
> had this problem with SP1. This a Dell 8100 with XP reinstalled on a
> reformatted drive. XP had no problem setting up HP LaserJet 4L as the local
> printer using the parallal port. I updated drivers then applied SP2.
>
> All went well and I updated XP before doing anything further. Rest of programs
> installed with no problems including Office 2002. Left firewall off for a
> few days to be certain all was well.
>
> Set up a connection through another machine (not yet on SP2) on my network
> to a USB Epson C-64. No matter how many times I select the LaserJet 4L to be
> the default, for no apparent reason every day or so it changes to the Epson.
>
> I've read here the opposite occuring where a local printer being the first
> to be the default and not the networked but mine is the oposite.
>
> I would think that the local printer would be recognized well before the
> netwoek machine and printer.
>
> Marc
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 9:53:04 AM

Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure it out so I deleted the printer and
left instructions for my wife on how to add it again if needed. I'm guessing
that it's an unusual problem based on the fact that no solutions were offered
here by someone else who solved it. If you find anything please let me know.

Marc

"Dean Packer" wrote:

> Marc,
>
> Did you get your printer problem resolved?? I am having the same sort of
> issue but I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 which is connected by Parallel and
> an HP 2210 All-in-one connected by USB and I want the epson to be the default
> but my computer (XP Home SP2) revertes back to my HP after I reboot. I maen I
> can make the Epson the default but after I reboot it goes back to my hp?? Any
> ideas if you got your issue resloved would be great!
>
> Dean
>
> "Marc43" wrote:
>
> > I have a problem with the default printer staying selected since SP2. Never
> > had this problem with SP1. This a Dell 8100 with XP reinstalled on a
> > reformatted drive. XP had no problem setting up HP LaserJet 4L as the local
> > printer using the parallal port. I updated drivers then applied SP2.
> >
> > All went well and I updated XP before doing anything further. Rest of programs
> > installed with no problems including Office 2002. Left firewall off for a
> > few days to be certain all was well.
> >
> > Set up a connection through another machine (not yet on SP2) on my network
> > to a USB Epson C-64. No matter how many times I select the LaserJet 4L to be
> > the default, for no apparent reason every day or so it changes to the Epson.
> >
> > I've read here the opposite occuring where a local printer being the first
> > to be the default and not the networked but mine is the oposite.
> >
> > I would think that the local printer would be recognized well before the
> > netwoek machine and printer.
> >
> > Marc
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marc

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:29:07 AM

It does not appear to be so uncommon. I have the same issue with several XP
pro sp1 machines on my SBS 2003 network. I have not been able to solve the
daily changing of the default printer issue. If you find something, or
Microsoft finds a solution, I will be happy.

!