Finding Silver Lacquer - HELP!

G

I want to overclock my Athlon XP1800+ using the method shown on Toms Hardware. This method uses a 'Silver Lacquer' that seems to go on like a paint and dry.
The only unlocking kits I can find on the net are those dumb ones that come with 'Conductive thermal GREASE', which does not dry, not even in the slightest, not ever!
I don't like this idea as it seems like brushing conductive peanut butter on your chip - I want something more permanent, and of course will take the extra few hours to make sure that I join the L1's very neatly, instead of these globs of grease that some are offering.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP me find where I can buy this stuff!
Thanks!

G

from reading past posts..some people go to the auto store and buy the rear defroster repair kit. in it it has some kind of paint that u can use cuz its conductive....um i hope that makes sense. hopefully someone will give a better explanation of it =). by the way i did go get some from my local pep boys and they ran out!! godamn OC'ers..hehe

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
yeah I seen that too and it got to work, does the same thing for the rear defrost as it would for the CPU . Any half decent autoparts store should have it. *joke* and you will have defrost on your CPU! */joke* LOL

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, rear defrost kits should work...but remember that on an XP, you need to fill in the lazer channel with superglue first...
the method with the defrost kit is the same as with the silver lacquer, but with the defrost fluid instead.
i dont know why people say to use the silver lacquer...i mean, it is good, but harder to find, and more expensive.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I used red nail polish so I could see it more clearly to fill laser cuts.
*wife doesn't know*

Then bought a rear-defogger repair kit for the conductive paint at
auto parts store. The kit is actually a small bottle of conductive
paint, small brush and template to repair defoggers. The paint is
easier to apply with a 1-bristle brush or just dip a straight pin
in it and use that for applying. The kit cost $7 U.S. Be very
patient and don't rush and unless you have eagle eyes get a good
magnifier.

*hint*
If you put a small drop on a small piece of glass and let it dry
for a couple of minutes before applying it will thicken and not
run as bad.

º :smile: º <font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
good tips!

i havent done this personally, but my friend has done it on his xp1700+, and has it running as a 2000+, perfectly stable....i remember you talking about the red nail polish a while back...sounds like a good idea..
maybe if there was a nail polish color like the same color as the xp...then you could emulate an unlocked xp!
hehe
try and make it look real close...
and then get some gold colored conductive paint...
and BAM
HAHAHAHAHA.....tell someone it is an un-lazer locked xp!
hehe

oh yeah...just a question....
what would happen if i unlocked the spare athlon 900 i have here, and put it in my motherboard..
would it boot?(ECS K7S5A, non-overclockers bios)
just a question...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There's not much point in unlocking a Tbird and putting it in a motherboard that doesn't have multiplier adjustments.

However, it should still boot with default settings.

If you want to try to manually overclock that Tbird itself this link will help.

<A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/workshop/socketa/socketa_resistors.html" target="_new">http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/workshop/socketa/socketa_resistors.html</A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>