New PC, game recommendations?

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Hi, I recently got a new gaming PC:

i7 3770 3.4 GHz OCed to 3.8 GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7870

16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

What are some games you would recommend I play? I was kind of half console, half PC gamer before because my PC sucked, but now I want to get more into PC gaming with this new system. I've been playing Minecraft since Inf-dev, and I like it.

Also, will my system handle BF3 on Ultra at a decent FPS? I will probably get that.

Thanks,

It will handle BF3 alright. Though it's not a very exciting game imo :p.

I'd recommend these games:

1. Witcher and Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings. Totally must play! Those are games, that were meant to be PC exclusive, but got ported to consoles year after their release. That means you get a very nice PC gameplay. It's awesome series, the story is interactive, the characters are realistic (what would you expect, the story is taken from series of Witcher books!), and the graphics in the second one has probably the best graphics any PC game has to offer today (that's much better than battlefield 3!). Though make sure to play first part before playing second, as the story is linear.

2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The story and gameplay are epic. Must play as well.
3. Portal/Portal 2. Very fun puzzle game based on source engine. I recommend playing it, especially since it's very cheap nowadays.
4. Bulletstorm. Probably the most fun FPS I've ever played.
5. L. A. Noire. Even though it's a console port, it's fun to play, and it immerses you into the story very well.

That list is prioritized: the game written earlier is better than the one written later, according to me that is.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Oh, OK. I wasn't sure what turbo boost did.

Thanks,

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

I'll check out the Witcher games, they look pretty awesome. Deus Ex is only 29.99 on Steam, so that's pretty good. I have both Portals, even my old computer could handle them alright, they are definitely fun though. (AMD Athlon II 1.8 Ghz, 2GB RAM, AMD Radeon 3100.) I will check out Bulletstorm. I'm pretty sure I saw it at Gamestop for like $15 or something. I have never played L.A. Noire, but it looks cool.

Thanks for the list.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

I have Oblivion on PC, and the mods are awesome. I made a few myself, for that matter. I had a companion mod that turned all the wild animals into tameable companions. I never released it though, it was kind of buggy. Me and my friend made a side-quest mod to do with some treasure guarded by a giant mudcrab. It added some weapons too. Ahh, the memories. My old PC's HDD failed though, so it's all gone now. D:

Well, onto the point, I already have Skyrim on my Xbox, but I think I'll repurchase it. I wasn't going to, but you reminded me of the awesome modding in the Oblivion days.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Nice system, and yes you'll be able to do BF3 at ultra (maybe stick to 2x MSAA or 0x MSAA+post processing on high for visual clarity reasons).

Some games that I personally like, that I would recommend to other players are (in no significant order):

Battlefield 3
Battlefield Bad Company 2 + Bad Company Vietnam expansion
Skyrim-if you haven't played it on console already
Witcher 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl/Call of Pripyat- with associated mods
Crysis/Crysis Warhead/Crysis 2- with all their associated mods
Civ V
Deus Ex: Human Revolution- if you've never played it on console
Metro 2033
Trine 2
Rayman Origins- if you've never played it on console
Bastion- if you've never played it on console
Left 4 Dead 2
Team Fortress 2
Counter Strike: Source
Portal
Portal 2

indie titles that I enjoy:
Binding of Isaac
Super Meatboy
Beat Hazard
Shatter
Cave Story+
Jamestown
Torchlight (and upcoming Torchlight 2)
Path of Exile (open beta this weekend then back to closed beta)

Some of these games are demanding, some are not demanding but rather are just fun. I know it's a long list, but I just wrote them down as they came to me :) .