Liquid Cooling Systems

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Ok, question, I'm gonna go to liquid cooling for my videocard (GeForce 3 Ti500) mobo chipset (nForce) and processor (currently AMD Athlon XP 1800+, when I get it gonna be much higher though) what would be the best cooling system to get and wouldn't CO2 be better than water?

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Gaseous Co2 would not be better than water. If you're talking dry ice then yes i agree that it would work better that water, but the upkeep on that system would be tremendous. Water is the best thing you can use to cool your system. Also the water must be distilled becase regualr tap water has ions in it which will cause corrosion of your cooling blocks. You can also add stuff to water like water wetter which is supposed to double the heat transfer capacity of water but i've never had any experience w/ that. If you're looking to make your own water cooling system, i dunno much about that. Koolance makes a pre built water cooling system for about 200 dollars and it has complements like video card cooling block and chipset cooling block but they are about 25 dollars apiece.

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
CO2 in any form is still colder than water and if it's in an air tight sealment it should work, where as it wouldn't be in contact with O2. Besides CO2 is very very cheap and easy to get where I live (fire extingisher company right up the street will gladly fill a system for me.) Even still though, it would probally be a little hard to find an air tight system, freon would work rather nicely as whell... but that still comes to the air tight system problem, plus sealing the cpu from condensation (course they have a thing for peltiers that seal the pins between the cpu and mobo and that should work) If anyone with a/c and/or refrigerator knowleadge wants to lend a few ideas I'll gladly help everyone else make a freon coolin system...

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Oh yes, CO2 and Freon whould work better than water, but you would need to add in a compressor to get them to work. The compressor will be noisy, difficult to install and will suck up alot of juice. It will aso be expensive. You're talking sub-ambient cooling here so you would also have to guard against atmospheric water condensation.

It'll cost you in excess of $500 to set up a CO2/Compressed Air/Freon cooling system (I looked into it once, about 2 years ago). Water cooling can be had for less than $200, plus is virtually silent. Air cooling (HSF) can be had for as little as $20.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.