desperately need re-format help

My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....

Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
re-install? Help.
7 answers Last reply
More about desperately format help

    You have a restore cd, it uses the files on the d partition, I bet you no
    longer have those...

    "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
    > refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
    > trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
    > everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
    > and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
    >
    > Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
    > re-install? Help.

    or maybe it's the Spybot web site? I forget which. I use both of them a lot.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
    >refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
    >trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
    >everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
    >and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
    >
    >Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
    >re-install? Help.

    Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used, sort of, go to the
    Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a try.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
    >refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
    >trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
    >everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
    >and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
    >
    >Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
    >re-install? Help.

    > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >
    > On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
    >>refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks
    >>of
    >>trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then
    >>re-install
    >>everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
    >>and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
    >>
    >>Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
    >>re-install? Help.
    >>
    > Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used, sort of,
    > go to the
    > Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a try.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers

    This is what I have used to date:
    AdAware (including their VX2 cleaner)
    Bazooka
    WEShredder
    Easy Cleaner
    Hijack This
    Hoster
    KillBox
    Microsoft AntiSpyware
    Pest Patrol
    Registry Mechanic
    RegScrub
    RegRun
    SpyBot
    Spyware Doctor
    Spyware Blaster
    Spy Sweeper
    - and I still can't get rid of it. What I need to know is how to make a
    boot diskette that will recognize the cd drive so I can install Windows
    when the format is done. Anyone?

    Try http://www.bootdisk.com

    HH

    "Cassie" <castalidesSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
    >>>refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks
    >>>of
    >>>trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then
    >>>re-install
    >>>everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
    >>>and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
    >>>
    >>>Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
    >>>re-install? Help.
    >>>
    >> Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used, sort of, go
    >> to the
    >> Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a try.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    > This is what I have used to date:
    > AdAware (including their VX2 cleaner)
    > Bazooka
    > WEShredder
    > Easy Cleaner
    > Hijack This
    > Hoster
    > KillBox
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware
    > Pest Patrol
    > Registry Mechanic
    > RegScrub
    > RegRun
    > SpyBot
    > Spyware Doctor
    > Spyware Blaster
    > Spy Sweeper
    > - and I still can't get rid of it. What I need to know is how to make a
    > boot diskette that will recognize the cd drive so I can install Windows
    > when the format is done. Anyone?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    "Cassie" <castalidesSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that
    >>>absolutely
    >>>refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two
    >>>weeks of
    >>>trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then
    >>>re-install
    >>>everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen
    >>>went red
    >>>and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the
    >>>
    >>>Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
    >>>re-install? Help.
    >>>
    >> Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used,
    >> sort of, go to the
    >> Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a
    >> try.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    > This is what I have used to date:
    > AdAware (including their VX2 cleaner)
    > Bazooka
    > WEShredder
    > Easy Cleaner
    > Hijack This
    > Hoster
    > KillBox
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware
    > Pest Patrol
    > Registry Mechanic
    > RegScrub
    > RegRun
    > SpyBot
    > Spyware Doctor
    > Spyware Blaster
    > Spy Sweeper
    > - and I still can't get rid of it. What I need to know is how to
    > make a boot diskette that will recognize the cd drive so I can
    > install Windows when the format is done. Anyone?

    The Windows XP CD-ROM is bootable if you set the BIOS to boot from a
    CD-ROM drive and place that drive ahead of the hard drive in the
    boot order. You have to watch the boot sequence because you have to
    hit a key to continue the CD-ROM process. If you do not hit a key,
    the machine will boot from the next detected boot device. Load
    Smartdrv from the CD before you start the Setup or the process will
    take forever. Run the Setup from the i386 subdirectory by starting
    WINNT32.EXE.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In article <348pg5F46i8dmU1@individual.net>, Puzzled <NotAt@yahoo.com>
    writes
    >My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
    >refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
    >trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
    >everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
    >and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
    >
    >Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
    >re-install? Help.

    I had a similar problem with a Compaq 1525 laptop. It would not let me
    use my Restore Disk, it halted with an error number which now escapes
    me. The error number implied a fault with the hard drive. It would
    allow me to fdisk and format the drive but not to use the restore disk.
    I was about to return the laptop, it was on a maintenance contract (do
    not ask). I reset the BIOS, removing the passwords, and thought I would
    retry the restore just one more time. It worked.

    The problem was that I had a setup password in the BIOS. The Restore CD
    attempts to reset some hidden BIOS settings! Suggest that you set the
    BIOS settings to default, remove any password settings from the BIOS and
    try again.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"