desperately need re-format help

My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....

Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
re-install? Help.

dos

You have a restore cd, it uses the files on the d partition, I bet you no
longer have those...

"Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
> refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
> trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
> everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
> and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
>
> Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
> re-install? Help.

or maybe it's the Spybot web site? I forget which. I use both of them a lot.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
>refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
>trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
>everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
>and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
>
>Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
>re-install? Help.

Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used, sort of, go to the
Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a try.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
>refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
>trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
>everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
>and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
>
>Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
>re-install? Help.

> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:57:44 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
>>refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks
>>of
>>trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then
>>re-install
>>everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
>>and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
>>
>>Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
>>re-install? Help.
>>
> Assuming that the computer is still bootable and can be used, sort of,
> go to the
> Ad-Aware web site and download the VX2 cleaner there. Give it a try.
>
> ... Ben Myers

This is what I have used to date:
AdAware (including their VX2 cleaner)
Bazooka
WEShredder
Easy Cleaner
Hijack This
Hoster
KillBox
Microsoft AntiSpyware
Pest Patrol
Registry Mechanic
RegScrub
RegRun
SpyBot
Spyware Doctor
Spyware Blaster
Spy Sweeper
- and I still can't get rid of it. What I need to know is how to make a
boot diskette that will recognize the cd drive so I can install Windows
when the format is done. Anyone?

hh

Try http://www.bootdisk.com

HH

"Cassie" <castalidesSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> try.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
> This is what I have used to date:
> AdAware (including their VX2 cleaner)
> Bazooka
> WEShredder
> Easy Cleaner
> Hijack This
> Hoster
> KillBox
> Microsoft AntiSpyware
> Pest Patrol
> Registry Mechanic
> RegScrub
> RegRun
> SpyBot
> Spyware Doctor
> Spyware Blaster
> Spy Sweeper
> - and I still can't get rid of it. What I need to know is how to
> make a boot diskette that will recognize the cd drive so I can
> install Windows when the format is done. Anyone?

The Windows XP CD-ROM is bootable if you set the BIOS to boot from a
CD-ROM drive and place that drive ahead of the hard drive in the
boot order. You have to watch the boot sequence because you have to
hit a key to continue the CD-ROM process. If you do not hit a key,
the machine will boot from the next detected boot device. Load
Smartdrv from the CD before you start the Setup or the process will
take forever. Run the Setup from the i386 subdirectory by starting
WINNT32.EXE.

--
Earl F. Parrish

In article <348pg5F46i8dmU1@individual.net>, Puzzled <NotAt@yahoo.com>
writes
>My Compaq Presario 5106 is infected with a vx2 virus that absolutely
>refuses to be removed and I guess the only option left, after two weeks of
>trying to clean out the computer, is to re-format the hdd, then re-install
>everything. But when I went to use the Restore cd, the screen went red
>and flashed a warning saying I need to contact Compaq. What the .....
>
>Can I just use my Windows XP cd to format the C:\ drive and then
>re-install? Help.

I had a similar problem with a Compaq 1525 laptop. It would not let me
use my Restore Disk, it halted with an error number which now escapes
me. The error number implied a fault with the hard drive. It would
allow me to fdisk and format the drive but not to use the restore disk.
I was about to return the laptop, it was on a maintenance contract (do
not ask). I reset the BIOS, removing the passwords, and thought I would
retry the restore just one more time. It worked.

The problem was that I had a setup password in the BIOS. The Restore CD
attempts to reset some hidden BIOS settings! Suggest that you set the
BIOS settings to default, remove any password settings from the BIOS and
try again.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"