Strange Overclocking Results

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have this Visiontek Geforce2 GTS-V video card. It's a value card with only 7ns memory so the default clock is onhly 175 mhz core and 286 mhz memory. It overclocks to about 205/340 before visible errors start occurring. I'm even able to overclock to 218/410 but I just get more errors.

I added RAM heatsinks but no improvement. I played with AGP voltage (up to 2.0 volts) and I/O voltage (up to 3.75 volts) but nothing changed.

I've been curious why the card is stable even though 20% of the screen is filled with "white snow" (at 200/400). I wonder why it doesn't crash.

Later I was playing around with different settings in MaxPayne. Suddenly the image clears up. So I return back to the previous setting (all details) on. The snow comes back. I change back again and this time the snow doesn't clear up. I fool around with all the settings but nothing so I decide it was just a fluke. Later, testing in lower resolution (800x600), 16-bit textures, no anisotropy, no FSAA, all other LOD high, the image snaps clear again. I quit out of MaxPayne and switch back to 1024x768, 32 bit-texture (I think overclock is at 200/380) the image is still clear, no snow. The next time I use MaxPayne the snow is back, no settings have been changed.

I play around some more but it becomes harder and harder to clear up the snow. Every once in a while, 1/2 or 1/4 or 3/4 of the screen clears up. Completely puzzled by this I just stop and study the snow. I realized it is in geometric patterns and is not random. The spots are all the same size but they are arranged like spots on dice only each part of the screen has a different die. Further, I discovered some textures have "snow" and some do not, a carpet, or painting on the wall, or a doorway will be clear of snow. The snow is always white, no other colors to break up the textures. The snow is not quite static. The patterns will change even when the image is still. ArtifactTester 5 does not find any errors until I reach my maximum overclock of 218/410.

Can anyone explain what I am seeing or what is happening?

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Have you tried more cooling, like leaving the side off and seting a fan blowing on the card?

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for.... All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, I had a 60 CFM case fan propped up to blow at both the top and bottom sides of the video card. I even turned down the heat which lowered the room temp to 13 degrees C. That gave me a 20 degree case temperature.

I just don't understand what I am seeing. I don't think it is heat related. It looks like graphics data corruption except Artifact Tester does not detect this. With my previous graphics card, a Geforce256, at the limits of overclocking I would get random blotches of color and Artifact Tester did catch it. With the GTS-V, I'm seeing white pixels only and they are in patterns. They appear in most textures but not all. Completely puzzling.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i dont know if the monitor would have any problems like this.
i do know that your monitor can cause refresh problems, like if the refresh rate is set too low, and the video card is not allowing it to draw faster than the monitor can refresh, you will get crappy fps. but you can set the video card to draw as fast as it can, and not worry about the monitor. and then you will see the actual fps.
but you will get what they call tearing...
when the monitor cant refresh as fast as the video card is drawing, and there is a horizontal line, which makes a "tear" in the image. just kind of a nuisance.
but i dont think that it would cause this...but hey, you never know..it might! :wink:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Nuts! I've add RAMsinks and now I've replaced the GPU heatsink with an old Pentium heatsink but still no improvement. Not a single mhz in either core or memory speed.

Now, I have the ugliest videocard that you have ever seen, green PCB, giant gold color RAMsinks, a big blue GPU HSF, and a wonderful umbilical cord to power the fan.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm...weird...but the ram might have hit the wall...and so may the gpu..
and since adding the sinks didnt help, i would say that you hit the limit before adding that stuff...
sorry.....
but the cooling didnt help with the weird graphical anomolies?
odd.

-DAvid

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This just does not look like typical artifacting. Are one of the IC's the RAMDAC or is the RAMDAC an integrated part of the GPU with a Geforce2? The card runs completely stable with memory at 400mhz but it looks terrible, snow everywhere. It runs fast and doesn't crash. I just don't understand it.

I've looked at many videocard cooling articles but none of them discuss anything but the GPU and the memory. The only exception is one DIY project that added cooling to the backside of the GPU. I suppose I could try adding heatsinks to the 3 or 4 IC's and a FET that I see. I wonder if Radio Shack has some tiny heatsinks.

I want to test to learn if what I am seeing is just occuring in the output stage of the video card. If there are video memory errors they would show up in a screen capture, wouldn't they?

Update:

OK I did some Q3 screen captures and the artifacting does show up. Strangely, the pixel errors are red instead of white as they are real-time.

Here are some more anomolies.

Max Payne has artifacts all over the screen. It's pretty uniform. At 1280x1024 I get random triangles when Vsync is <b>enabled</b>. This is something new. I do not get this in other games.

Serious Sam has artifacts all over the screen <b>except</b> the sky is clear of artifacts.

Quake III only has artifacts in some textures. There are more artifacts at 1024x768 than there are at 1280x1024.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/04/02 04:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
im pretty sure that the ramdac is an integrated part of the gpu.
but you can try cooling those other parts.
just be careful not to short anything..hehe..but you already knew that.
as for the wierd anomolies, if they are showing up in the screen shots, then they might be related to the ram/gpu.
but i am not positive.
that is just the general reason...
cooling the backside of the gpu might help.
also, you might want to try adding some airflow to the case...maybe leave it open with a box fan or any large fan blowing into the case, but make sure the fan is about a foot away from the case...to prevent electromagnetic interference.
increasing the airflow will lower the ambient temperature inside the case, which might help cool the gpu and ram.
you might also try putting it near, or ducting cold air in from an airconditioner vent...

-DAvid