permissions advice needed for users on workgroup pc to pri..

Hi
I have (at home) a PC (Win2K) which is a member of a domain (at work) and
has a printer attached to it.
The problem is accessing that printer from ....
The kids have (local) accounts on an XP Pro laptop which is a workgroup
member (if it was a domain member they would winge about losing fast user
switching).
While logged on as a local admin I was able to connect to the the networked
printer (presumably it asked for an account name, I can't remember).
Now I've found the rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /? description at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm I've made that the
default printer for all the users on the laptop.
BUT I now see "access denied", does this mean that "limited accounts" don't
get asked to enter an account? Or what permissions can I set on the printer
itself?
3 answers Last reply
More about permissions advice needed users workgroup

    a PS:
    I can make this work by creating identical local accounts (matching
    passwords) on the ws with the printer attached. But then there are password
    length complications.

    "DaveT" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have (at home) a PC (Win2K) which is a member of a domain (at work) and
    > has a printer attached to it.
    > The problem is accessing that printer from ....
    > The kids have (local) accounts on an XP Pro laptop which is a workgroup
    > member (if it was a domain member they would winge about losing fast user
    > switching).
    > While logged on as a local admin I was able to connect to the the networked
    > printer (presumably it asked for an account name, I can't remember).
    > Now I've found the rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /? description at
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm I've made that the
    > default printer for all the users on the laptop.
    > BUT I now see "access denied", does this mean that "limited accounts" don't
    > get asked to enter an account? Or what permissions can I set on the printer
    > itself?

    When you connect to a printer as opposed to a file/folder share, you don't
    get a prompt for credentials - this applies to all user accounts (limited or
    otherwise).

    If you connect to a folder share on the domain computer, you should get a
    prompt for credentials. Supply username and password of a domain user
    account that has access to the folder share and the printer, or the username
    and password of a local (to the Win2K computer) user account that has access
    to the folder and printer share. Then connect to the printer.

    A more permanent solution is to use this command in a Command Prompt window
    on the laptop (you'll have to do this for each user that logs on at the
    laptop):

    NET USE \\win2kcomputername\IPC$ password /USER:username /PERSISTENT:YES

    win2kcomputername is the name of the Win2K computer that is a domain
    member

    username is either:

    domainname\username for a domain username
    or
    username for a local username that is known on the Win2K (domain
    member) compute and that has permission to use the printer

    password is the password for the user account username

    (you can key the parts I've shown in uppercase in lower case if you want).

    This will establish a connection between the laptop and the Win2K computer
    using the credentials used in the command (password and username). Then,
    when the printer is used, since the laptop user has already been
    authenticated on the Win2K computer, the printer connection will use the
    same credentials.

    (For details about the NET USE command, key net use /?)
    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "DaveT" <DaveT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have (at home) a PC (Win2K) which is a member of a domain (at work) and
    > has a printer attached to it.
    > The problem is accessing that printer from ....
    > The kids have (local) accounts on an XP Pro laptop which is a workgroup
    > member (if it was a domain member they would winge about losing fast user
    > switching).
    > While logged on as a local admin I was able to connect to the the
    > networked
    > printer (presumably it asked for an account name, I can't remember).
    > Now I've found the rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /? description at
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm I've made that the
    > default printer for all the users on the laptop.
    > BUT I now see "access denied", does this mean that "limited accounts"
    > don't
    > get asked to enter an account? Or what permissions can I set on the
    > printer
    > itself?

    Hi, many thanks, all working now...
    .... I put the command in a .bat file (with a %UserName% test to not apply it
    for my admin account) in the windows dir and added a link to that in Startup
    in All Users.

    Regards
    Dave Turnbull

Printers Windows XP