cannot install this hardware printer hardware is unknown

Hello i have a hp deskjet printer installed on my dell inspiron notebook its
works great but all of a suddden when i turn on my notebook it says found new
hardware, i try to install it but then i get an erroe message cannot install
this hardware, the printer driver is unknown, now i have completely
uninstalled the printer as dell recomended restarted the notebook and here we
go again found new hardware appears and the printer cable is not connected
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot install hardware printer hardware unknown

    It's sort of important to mention which deskjet model you have a problem
    with. Many have updated drivers available on the HP website.
    In addition, there may be instructions on how to clean up problems such as
    you are having. It sounds like the driver you are trying to install is not
    the correct one, or there is a damaged install still present (usually
    registry entries) that is screwing things up.
    Windows XP also (at least on the retail CD) many of the HP printer drivers
    included. These drivers may be "bare bones". Usually the HP website driver
    has more features.
    On occasion, you may have to uninstall and reinstall the parallel port as
    well of that is what you use for the printer's interface. USB ports
    generally require that you uninstall the printer drivers, and disconnect the
    printer before you attempt to reinstall the drivers.
    I usually recommend that you uninstall the drivers, disconnect the printer
    with the power off, then reboot before you attempt to reinstall the printer
    drivers.

    The symptom you mention is usually the result of damaged registry entries.
    It may be possible to restore to an earlier date before you had the problem
    and recover.

    "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello i have a hp deskjet printer installed on my dell inspiron notebook
    > its
    > works great but all of a suddden when i turn on my notebook it says found
    > new
    > hardware, i try to install it but then i get an erroe message cannot
    > install
    > this hardware, the printer driver is unknown, now i have completely
    > uninstalled the printer as dell recomended restarted the notebook and here
    > we
    > go again found new hardware appears and the printer cable is not connected

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Hardware Notebooks Printers Windows XP