Fan wiring

Awhile back i bought two small fans for a 486 processor and i used one for cooling my tnt2 ultra and the other i cut off the 4 pin (molex?) connecter and put in its place a 9 volt plug and installed into a hat so that i could cool off my head (actually worked). However, my question is would it be a bad idea if i attached that fan to the one on my tnt? what i mean is to do is take off the plastic sheilding to a small portion of the wire to the fan on the tnt and then attach the wires on the other fan to the unsheilded part. Would this be a good idea or would i be asking for trouble? Thanks. Mnx4

Edited Part:
Heh heh, sorry about that.. it does seem a little comfusing... I want to take the two wires that are coming out of fan 1, take off a little bit of the plastic sheilding, take the two wires from fan 2, attach them to the unsheilded wires of fan1.

wires of fan 1
======----======(red)
======----======(Black)
- means unshielded (uncovered)
= means sheilded (covered)

wires of fan 2
==========--- (red)
==========---(black)

wires of fan 1 + 2
====+++==== (red wire 1)
====+++==== (black wire 1)
_____:|
: is black wire 2
| is red wire 2
+ means connected wires (red1 to red2 and black 1 to black2)
_ means nothing (for some reason the system gets rid of extra spaces so the schematic wouldn't look right if i didn't add those in)

all im asking is that would it be an electrical disaster waiting to happen if i connect one fan to the other fan's wiring or would it be a good idea? If need be i will try to explain this a little more clearly (lol) Sorry about the confusion<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mnx4 on 02/16/02 04:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
6 answers Last reply
More about wiring
  1. Say what?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  2. LOL crash

I would leave the fan running off the power supply instead of using the connector on the video card, unless the fan is a match for the original card fan (if there was any, if not then don't do it).

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
  3. I've gotta agree with Andrew, would put to much of a strain on the video card connector burnin it out (i.e. try hookin a delta fan to a mobo, delta+3 pin mobo connect= one fried mobo)
  4. Sorry. i guess i need to do some more explaining. The fan i hav connected to the video card was never on there in the first place. The fan on the vid card has a molex connector; it isn't conected to the vid card. Sorry about that.

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.
  5. oh, ok. So yer runnin it off of the psu? If that's the case then yer fine
  6. Thanks. I'm really sorry about all the confusion. Thanks again.

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Fan Processors Overclocking