Fan wiring

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Awhile back i bought two small fans for a 486 processor and i used one for cooling my tnt2 ultra and the other i cut off the 4 pin (molex?) connecter and put in its place a 9 volt plug and installed into a hat so that i could cool off my head (actually worked). However, my question is would it be a bad idea if i attached that fan to the one on my tnt? what i mean is to do is take off the plastic sheilding to a small portion of the wire to the fan on the tnt and then attach the wires on the other fan to the unsheilded part. Would this be a good idea or would i be asking for trouble? Thanks. Mnx4

Edited Part:
Heh heh, sorry about that.. it does seem a little comfusing... I want to take the two wires that are coming out of fan 1, take off a little bit of the plastic sheilding, take the two wires from fan 2, attach them to the unsheilded wires of fan1.

wires of fan 1
======----======(red)
======----======(Black)
- means unshielded (uncovered)
= means sheilded (covered)

wires of fan 2
==========--- (red)
==========---(black)

wires of fan 1 + 2
====+++==== (red wire 1)
====+++==== (black wire 1)
_____:|
: is black wire 2
| is red wire 2
+ means connected wires (red1 to red2 and black 1 to black2)
_ means nothing (for some reason the system gets rid of extra spaces so the schematic wouldn't look right if i didn't add those in)

all im asking is that would it be an electrical disaster waiting to happen if i connect one fan to the other fan's wiring or would it be a good idea? If need be i will try to explain this a little more clearly (lol) Sorry about the confusion<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mnx4 on 02/16/02 04:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
LOL crash

I would leave the fan running off the power supply instead of using the connector on the video card, unless the fan is a match for the original card fan (if there was any, if not then don't do it).

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

saxile

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I've gotta agree with Andrew, would put to much of a strain on the video card connector burnin it out (i.e. try hookin a delta fan to a mobo, delta+3 pin mobo connect= one fried mobo)

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Sorry. i guess i need to do some more explaining. The fan i hav connected to the video card was never on there in the first place. The fan on the vid card has a molex connector; it isn't conected to the vid card. Sorry about that.

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.