Faxing uning Windows XP Fax

When I attempt to send a fax, I first get an error message saying "An error
occurred while sending the fax" followed by a second message saying "The
attempt to send the fax failed" Any suggestions regarding the possible cause
of this problem. My fax modem seems to be working fine...the errors occur
after the connnection has been made.

Dave in RI
1 answer Last reply
More about faxing uning windows

    Look for error messages. Look in Event Viewer.
    Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
    during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
    first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
    an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
    messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
    There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
    might lie.

    These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Dave in RI" <Dave in RI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I attempt to send a fax, I first get an error message saying "An
    > error
    > occurred while sending the fax" followed by a second message saying "The
    > attempt to send the fax failed" Any suggestions regarding the possible
    > cause
    > of this problem. My fax modem seems to be working fine...the errors occur
    > after the connnection has been made.
    >
    > Dave in RI

Fax Microsoft Error Message Windows XP