Sign in with
Your question

Is 7.1 worth setting up for PC games?

Last response: in Video Games
July 30, 2012 10:07:41 PM

I have a receiver capable of 7.1 and 5.1. I've never played 7.1 and wondering if it's noticeable and worth setting up the extra speakers. Thanks for any opinions!

More about : worth setting games

July 30, 2012 10:19:54 PM

I have 7.1 headphones, and I can't tell a difference between 5.1 and 7.1.

I assume it would be similar for a speaker system.
m
l
July 30, 2012 11:30:31 PM

The only time you're likely to ever really notice a difference is if you have a game with a discrete 7.1 audio track. I would imagine right now probably 90%+ of the time you're using upmixed simulated surround, so I highly doubt you'd ever be able to tell the difference unless you're a serious audiophile, and how likely is it that you'd even ask if that were the case?
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 2:21:12 AM

Thanks for the input. I didn't know if it took advantage of positional effects of anything. Things behind you, off to the side, etc. It doesn't?
m
l
July 31, 2012 2:33:18 AM

The 7.1 basically adds two more speakers to the back, instead of between back and side, so it really doesn't make much difference since on a 5.1 the two back/side ones will balance out to make it sound like its behind you.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:42:49 AM

voiidwulf said:
I have 7.1 headphones, and I can't tell a difference between 5.1 and 7.1.

I assume it would be similar for a speaker system.

Headphones are not a particularly good way to judge surround sound. Honestly, with headphones there is hardly a difference between stereo and 5.1.

However, I agree that there is not a huge difference between 5.1 and 7.1

As far as whether or not it's worth the trouble? Well, if you can and want to do it then why not? But would it be a huge night and day improvement? No.

Personally, if you want to notice a big difference in sound, I would invest in the highest possible QUALITY of speakers rather than just going for more quantity.
m
l
July 31, 2012 12:31:18 PM

Sure it's worth it if you have the money and space for seven speakers. Do you notice a difference when you go to the theatre and watch a movie that's been recorded in THX vs. DD5.1? I do. danawesome89's advice is good as well. Invest in good speakers, no matter how many you end up using.
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:11:21 AM

danawesome89 said:
Headphones are not a particularly good way to judge surround sound. Honestly, with headphones there is hardly a difference between stereo and 5.1.

However, I agree that there is not a huge difference between 5.1 and 7.1

As far as whether or not it's worth the trouble? Well, if you can and want to do it then why not? But would it be a huge night and day improvement? No.

Personally, if you want to notice a big difference in sound, I would invest in the highest possible QUALITY of speakers rather than just going for more quantity.

I can tell the difference between stereo and 5.1 with my headphones when gaming.
m
l
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 3:26:46 AM

Ever consider a sound card?

I have tried a couple now and am currently using the ASUS DX. A friend of mine bought the entry level ASUS DG and it is still a huge difference over on-board sound.
Something to think about at least.
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:51:33 AM

voiidwulf said:
I can tell the difference between stereo and 5.1 with my headphones when gaming.

Yeah, I said that there is hardly a difference, not that there isn't a difference. In my opinion 5.1 headphones are not really worth it, and it is much better to just get really high quality stereo headphones.

With actual speakers, it is a whole different story. Then there is a huge difference between 5.1 and stereo (and a much smaller difference between 5.1 and 7.1).

So basically my point was that interpreting surround sound quality for speakers based on headphones is not a particularly effective comparison.
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:14:04 AM

Oh, I misunderstood. I see your point now.
m
l
!