I remember posts quite some time ago, mostly from warriors, stating
that warrios were useless because Paladins and SK's had all their
strengths plus spells. Go back further and it was monks but I'm only
concerned with plate class tanks here.

After that I recall posts about the improvements in warriors and how
they had increased taunt and mitigation over SK's and Paladins. It
got to the point where the SK's and Paladins were complaining that
they had been marginalized.
To that end, somewhat, I also recall groups only wanting warriors, not
hybrid tanks so there may be some truth to that.

There seems to always be a swing in the favored class dujour, but my
question is this: are warriors currently preferred in groups over
Paladin's and SK's?
Obviously this is a general question, but in general is there an
advantage to pure tank v. hybrid tank in *most* situations?
I understand GoD raids (maybe all raids?) prefer warriors as tanks. I
assume this is because of the mitigation and generally higher HP's.

But for the non or infrequently raiding hybrid tank, are we still
desired?

Thanks.

~F

In alt.games.everquest, Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> wrote:

>But for the non or infrequently raiding hybrid tank, are we still
>desired?

First thing for me to say is that I group with my friends and guildmates,
and we don't put groups together based on min-maxing, we put groups
together based on who's lfg. For example, DoN missions with three
enchanters, a cleric, a warrior and a necro. It's the advantage of being
guilded with reasonable people.

So that out of the way, I play a warrior.

If you're putting a group together and you're trying to get as much
functionality into it as possible,

Warrior - extra mitigation, probable HP advantage over a similar geared
Knight. Erm, that's it.

Paladin - heals, rezzes, cures, stuns, buffs, good snap hate.

Shadow Knight - higher dps, debuffs, FD, snare, good snap hate.

Depending on the content you do, Knight classes tank fine and bring with
them a host of additional benefits.

In our guild, we've always assumed that all tank classes can tank normal XP
content equally well in all expansions. Warriors tank high-end raid
content in the newest expansion. Knights tank high-end raid content from
one or two expansions ago. Assuming similar gear all around.

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
Recommended Author : David Gemmell

On Mon, 16 May 2005 02:56:41 GMT, Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I remember posts quite some time ago, mostly from warriors, stating
>that warrios were useless because Paladins and SK's had all their
>strengths plus spells. Go back further and it was monks but I'm only
>concerned with plate class tanks here.
>
>After that I recall posts about the improvements in warriors and how
>they had increased taunt and mitigation over SK's and Paladins. It
>got to the point where the SK's and Paladins were complaining that
>they had been marginalized.
>To that end, somewhat, I also recall groups only wanting warriors, not
>hybrid tanks so there may be some truth to that.
>
>There seems to always be a swing in the favored class dujour, but my
>question is this: are warriors currently preferred in groups over
>Paladin's and SK's?
>Obviously this is a general question, but in general is there an
>advantage to pure tank v. hybrid tank in *most* situations?
>I understand GoD raids (maybe all raids?) prefer warriors as tanks. I
>assume this is because of the mitigation and generally higher HP's.
>
>But for the non or infrequently raiding hybrid tank, are we still
>desired?
>
>Thanks.
>
>~F

Usually grouped with a 65 Warrior with around 50 AAs,I would
say he has some problems getting aggro compared to SKs and Pallies.
On the bright side,I noticed his health bar dropping much slower
compared to SK/Pally tanks,even if these are higher level,have better
gear or more AAs.
But really its not a big difference which would make me prefere one
over the other classes in everyday xping/adventuring.
No idea about raid tanking,though it seems to me I see much more
Warriors tanking Bosses than,hm lets say 1 or 2 years ago.

Mheldur 65,51 Cleric

Faeandar <mr_castalot@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I remember posts quite some time ago, mostly from warriors, stating
> that warrios were useless because Paladins and SK's had all their
> strengths plus spells. Go back further and it was monks but I'm only
> concerned with plate class tanks here.
>
> After that I recall posts about the improvements in warriors and how
> they had increased taunt and mitigation over SK's and Paladins. It
> got to the point where the SK's and Paladins were complaining that
> they had been marginalized.
> To that end, somewhat, I also recall groups only wanting warriors, not
> hybrid tanks so there may be some truth to that.
>
> There seems to always be a swing in the favored class dujour, but my
> question is this: are warriors currently preferred in groups over
> Paladin's and SK's?
> Obviously this is a general question, but in general is there an
> advantage to pure tank v. hybrid tank in *most* situations?
> I understand GoD raids (maybe all raids?) prefer warriors as tanks. I
> assume this is because of the mitigation and generally higher HP's.
>
> But for the non or infrequently raiding hybrid tank, are we still
> desired?

In most group situations, most people don't really care which of the
plate tanks they get. There are some specific places where there are
preferences however.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired