Data speed when NOT in an upgraded city?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 14, 2005 2:18:54 AM

Hi,

I live in Portland, OR, which isn't one of the cities where broadband
has been rolled out yet. So I'm wondering - will the data speed (with
whatever PC card is current), fall back to GRPS, ie. around 50 kpbs?

Because if that's true, I'll probably stay with Cingular EDGE, which is
giving me 220 kbps, in the best of conditions. (I just got it last
week, but am thinking about cancelling.) And then, switch to Verizon
when BA does come out here. It seems that Verizon's been saying that
they plan to have complete US coverage since 2002. (I just called
them, and they said that they expect complete coverage by the end of
this year.)

So my real question is - how much pain will I be in, until Portland has
broadband access? Because EDGE's 220 kpbs is barely passable for me.
I think that ~50 kbps would not be practical for how I use it (I run
ssh, cvs, test remote applets, etc.)

Thanks for any info!
Robb
March 14, 2005 8:51:29 AM

Anywhere from very slow (20 kb/sec) to
200 kb/sec in the area where I am. Varies
widely. Some days fast, some days slow.
Maybe EVDO will be better.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:44:09 PM

Thanks for the Portland data point. Yeah, Portland is freaking amazing
wrt. the free wifi access. But I also want to be online while
commuting on the max, while at lunch at my client's very locked-down
campus, and while in Forest Park. :-)

230.4Kbps doesn't sound possible, given what I know about the VW
specs... sounds very high. Could be, you know, just the connection
between the PC and the phone...
March 14, 2005 2:51:08 PM

Thanks - confirms what I was thinking: that Cingular's EDGE speed falls
in between the two speeds that VW offers. Pretty interesting.

So now, after some configuration, I'm fairly happy with the
Cingular/EDGE data service:

* Upped my TCP Window Size to 65535,
* Made sure that all my ssh/scp sessions are compressed

With these two changes, console sessions to my servers are much more
usable, and I've noticed incremental improvement in other apps I use.

Maybe once VW does roll out BA here, they'll have an incentive program
for people to switch.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:51:33 PM

<robb@acm.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I live in Portland, OR, which isn't one of the cities where
broadband
> has been rolled out yet. So I'm wondering - will the data speed
(with
> whatever PC card is current), fall back to GRPS, ie. around 50 kpbs?
>
> Because if that's true, I'll probably stay with Cingular EDGE, which
is
> giving me 220 kbps, in the best of conditions. (I just got it last
> week, but am thinking about cancelling.) And then, switch to
Verizon
> when BA does come out here. It seems that Verizon's been saying
that
> they plan to have complete US coverage since 2002. (I just called
> them, and they said that they expect complete coverage by the end of
> this year.)
>
> So my real question is - how much pain will I be in, until Portland
has
> broadband access? Because EDGE's 220 kpbs is barely passable for
me.
> I think that ~50 kbps would not be practical for how I use it (I run
> ssh, cvs, test remote applets, etc.)
>
> Thanks for any info!
> Robb

Hi Robb,

the very short answer to your question is that the Cingular / ATTWS
Edge cards will achieve higher data speeds than a CDMA 1RX card when
both are in strong signal areas. Subjectively I'd say the EDGE cards
are about 25% to 30% faster than the 1RX cards.

Both cards are fast enough for email and the EDGE card is fast enough
for survival web surfing.

Both cards will work wherever CDMA and GSM / GPRS service is available
which is a pretty big area.

However, a CDMA EVDO card will be way faster than either of them , but
as you point out, it's still being rolled out and the coverage area is
nowhere near the other two.

Richard.
March 14, 2005 9:26:54 PM

robb@acm.org wrote:
: Hi,

: I live in Portland, OR, which isn't one of the cities where broadband
: has been rolled out yet. So I'm wondering - will the data speed (with
: whatever PC card is current), fall back to GRPS, ie. around 50 kpbs?

Data point: I live in Portland and sometimes use my Verizon phone to
put my laptop on the internet. Windows says it connects at 230.4Kbps,
though I doubt it is nearly that fast due to a slow network. Sometimes it
seems reasonably fast (certainly nowhere near broadband), other times
it seems painfully slow. I don't know if a PC card would yield better
speed than the wireless modem in my phone, but I'm guessing not.

I could never rely on my Verizon phone for internet access if it were
my primary access - it is far too slow.

I'm not sure how you are looking to work exactly, but I presume you
know Portland has tons of free WiFi hotspots? For starters, try
http://www.personaltelco.net .

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
March 15, 2005 3:04:57 AM

On 14 Mar 2005 11:44:09 -0800, robb@acm.org wrote:

>Thanks for the Portland data point. Yeah, Portland is freaking amazing
>wrt. the free wifi access. But I also want to be online while
>commuting on the max, while at lunch at my client's very locked-down
>campus, and while in Forest Park. :-)
>
>230.4Kbps doesn't sound possible, given what I know about the VW
>specs... sounds very high. Could be, you know, just the connection
>between the PC and the phone...

LIkewise, I concur that's fishy. Have you run a bandwidth test?
--
John Bartley K7AAY http://kiloseven.blogspot.com
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

johnbartley@email.com wrote:
: On 14 Mar 2005 11:44:09 -0800, robb@acm.org wrote:

: >Thanks for the Portland data point. Yeah, Portland is freaking amazing
: >wrt. the free wifi access. But I also want to be online while
: >commuting on the max, while at lunch at my client's very locked-down
: >campus, and while in Forest Park. :-)
: >
: >230.4Kbps doesn't sound possible, given what I know about the VW
: >specs... sounds very high. Could be, you know, just the connection
: >between the PC and the phone...

: LIkewise, I concur that's fishy. Have you run a bandwidth test?

No. As I said originally, Windows reports the connection speed as
230.4Kbps, and as I also said, I doubt it is nearly that fast. I
don't think a bandwidth test would be all that useful, because in my
experience the Verizon 1X/3G/whatever network is prone to serious lag
that varies at times. Sometimes the connection is painfully slow,
sometimes it's OK.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
March 15, 2005 6:54:25 PM

>usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

>johnbartley@email.com wrote:
>: On 14 Mar 2005 11:44:09 -0800, robb@acm.org wrote:
>
>: >Thanks for the Portland data point. Yeah, Portland is freaking amazing
>: >wrt. the free wifi access. But I also want to be online while
>: >commuting on the max, while at lunch at my client's very locked-down
>: >campus, and while in Forest Park. :-)
>: >
>: >230.4Kbps doesn't sound possible, given what I know about the VW
>: >specs... sounds very high. Could be, you know, just the connection
>: >between the PC and the phone...
>
>: LIkewise, I concur that's fishy. Have you run a bandwidth test?
>
>No. As I said originally, Windows reports the connection speed as
>230.4Kbps, and as I also said, I doubt it is nearly that fast. I
>don't think a bandwidth test would be all that useful, because in my
>experience the Verizon 1X/3G/whatever network is prone to serious lag
>that varies at times. Sometimes the connection is painfully slow,
>sometimes it's OK.
>
>Andrew

That 230.4 kbps is the speed between your laptop and your phone. It has
nothing to do with the actual speed of your connection to the Internet.

Unlike a dialup modem, there is really no "connection speed" for a
cellular connection, only a maximum imposed by the particular cellular
technology used by your carrier. Verizon's National Access, for example,
has a theoretical maximum of 144 kbps, but you can approach that only
when downloading files. For activities like net surfing, the high
latency in cellular connections makes them perform more like a 56 kbps
dialup connection at best.

--
DD
Anonymous

> the very short answer to your question is that the Cingular / ATTWS
> Edge cards will achieve higher data speeds than a CDMA 1RX card when
> both are in strong signal areas. Subjectively I'd say the EDGE cards
> are about 25% to 30% faster than the 1RX cards.
>
> Both cards are fast enough for email and the EDGE card is fast enough
> for survival web surfing.
>
> Both cards will work wherever CDMA and GSM / GPRS service is available
> which is a pretty big area.

Generally GSM carriers allow to use data wherever voice is available,
but CDMA carriers have a much more restricted data coverage area.
That's why Cingular's new advertisements are stressing the "Largest
digital voice AND DATA network in America."

> However, a CDMA EVDO card will be way faster than either of them , but
> as you point out, it's still being rolled out and the coverage area is
> nowhere near the other two.

So far, reports of UMTS have been quite positive. However, neither UMTS
nor EV-DO do any good if they are not installed where you need them. If
roaming *coverage* for data is important to you, GSM carriers (namely
Cingular) are the best choice for you. It a large coverage area isn't
important to you, then choose the best one for the time (whether it be
CDMA based or GSM based).

TH
!