appplying new thermal compound

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i want 2 replace the thermal compound for my CPU since it's running kinda hot. ( xp 1.6 at around 50-55c). i have a globalwin heatsink+fan at 7000rpm and i'placed it on my cpu with it's factory supllied thermal tape. i'm thinking about using arctic silver 2 or 3 as replacement but i read at arcticsilver.com that it's better to apply the thermal compound befor the heatsink is used, since the thermal tape at the bottom melts wax into the micro valley in the heatsink once it gets hot. so if i clean the bottom of the heatsink with acetone, possibly scrub it with an old tooth brush, will that clean out the wax? can i also scrub the top of my cpu with tooth brush + acetone? i've read couple of other post from people who've apllied arctic silver and blew their cpu, does that happen often? what are the major precaution i need 2 take when i'm aplying the thermal compound.
thanx

Trumphent

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
The first thing you do is go to www.arcticsilver.com. Get their instructions there. If your heatsink had the thermal pad, I would reccomend lapping the heatsink. You will get a flat surface and one free of the residue of thermal pad.

If you check your work and follow the instructions, you should not be able to blame a thermal compound for a blown cpu. I use Arctic Alumina and a little goes a long way.

Signature? We don' need no stinkin' signature!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
sanding the bottom lightly until the bottom is a mirror finish (sort of).
use a fine grit, and wash the bottom off when you are done.
if you look on the internet, you will find many a guide on how to perform this.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-