Volcano 7 and Duron 700

banesong

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am really confused. I had a Global Win FOP38 on my duron 700, and it managed to keep it down to about 28C. I replaced it with the Volcano 7 (20DB quieter! with 6 more CFM) and now it is having temps up around 36C. Any ideas? The only other thing is I replaced a fan in the case. There is a case fan directly next to the HSF. Should it blow in or out of the case?

Thanks
Thomas

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1. Don't worry about 36 degrees on a non-overclocked Duron 700. I ran a Duron 600 at 1007mhz with an idle temp of about 48 degrees. That system is 16 months old and still going strong. Enjoy the quiet.

2. Generally the rear fan should be an exhaust fan and the front fan an intake. If you only have one case fan then then a front intake usually works best. Every case is a little different. Try various combinations. Whatever works best for you is the one you should use.

3. If you really insist on lower temperatures, you can remove your CPU fan's thermal sensor so that it will run at full speed all the time. I don't know if just cutting out the sensor will work or if you have to close the connection (shunt). Seach the THG boards for an answer. Of course, the fan will not be as quiet.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I cut it off, it's damn loud going full speed! Takes time to get used to it, or just put back the sensor.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I told you! Does it run your Duron cooler than the old heatsink?

I honestly thought you would take suggestion #1 to heart.

I've got a Tbird at 1500 mhz and I really miss the quiet of my Duron with it's 5000 RPM fan. This Delta is running at 7400 <b>RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr-P-M</b>.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
umm I'm not the guy who asked. :lol:

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
:lol: :redface: :cool: :lol: :redface: :cool:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
After reading up on cooling last night, I'm going to make my V-7 suck air from the heatsink instead of blowing. Will post if it made any change, also going to try it with the heat sensor on and see, if it get quiet and still perform decent I'll like it.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Related to this, I saw a link where someone just installed a simple switch on his Volcano 7. Switch off and the Volcano 7 runs at full speed. Switch on and it goes back to automatic mode (controlled by sensor). Good compromise I thought.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Well it didn't work out at all, by sucking the air from the heatsink I got the same temp.

Even with open case it didn't go down (fan was at 5000Rpm). The article said it should work, but looks like it didn't.

If anyone manage to get lower temperatures on CPU by sucking air through heatsink instead of blowing, let us know which cooler able to do that and what temp diff you get like that. I used bios for temp reading.

Next I'll try and see what happen if I tape the heat sensor to the base of the cooler (extended the wire already after one just came out and had to solder it back).

p.s. using a regular fan (aprox 2500 Rpm) instead of the original thrown my temp up to 46C in seconds, no more but it was in idle.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
drilled a hole on the side of the heatsink and placed the sensor in it, it didn't change much in temperature. fan running at 4140Rpm, 42C CPU temp. Other than a more silent box I gained close to nothing.