XP SP2 & Epson printers

Hi,

I'm running XP SP2 (Pro and Home) on all PCs on my LAN. I have an EpsonC86
printer connected via USB to an XP Home system. Printing to this printer
from any other PC over the LAN is very very slow. What I mean is that it
can take almost 5 minutes before it will start to print (printing is normal
speed at that point). Printing locally is
almost instant. I have the latest epson drivers dated 10/19/04. I also
have HP officejet6100 series printer connected to an XP Pro PC and all pcs
can print to this one with ease (meaning it starts to print almost
instantly). Has anyone else
seen this with Epson printers in this scenario? Any suggestions?

Thanks

XP Home only has a connection limitation of 5. The 6th PC has to wait until
one of the others disconnects before it can 'get through'. Either connect
the printer to an XP Pro PC (10 connection limit) or use a Print Server:

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32
www.coribright.com

"eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm running XP SP2 (Pro and Home) on all PCs on my LAN. I have an
> EpsonC86
> printer connected via USB to an XP Home system. Printing to this printer
> from any other PC over the LAN is very very slow. What I mean is that it
> can take almost 5 minutes before it will start to print (printing is
> normal speed at that point). Printing locally is
> almost instant. I have the latest epson drivers dated 10/19/04. I also
> have HP officejet6100 series printer connected to an XP Pro PC and all pcs
> can print to this one with ease (meaning it starts to print almost
> instantly). Has anyone else
> seen this with Epson printers in this scenario? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Interesting, but if that is the issue I would expect an immediate failure
and and an appropriate message and I doubt if that was the cause I would see
the long delay before the printing actually occurs? Regardless, there are
only a total of 4 PCs on the LAN.

Thanks

> XP Home only has a connection limitation of 5. The 6th PC has to wait
> until one of the others disconnects before it can 'get through'. Either
> connect the printer to an XP Pro PC (10 connection limit) or use a Print
> Server:
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32
> www.coribright.com
>
> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running XP SP2 (Pro and Home) on all PCs on my LAN. I have an
>> EpsonC86
>> printer connected via USB to an XP Home system. Printing to this printer
>> from any other PC over the LAN is very very slow. What I mean is that it
>> can take almost 5 minutes before it will start to print (printing is
>> normal speed at that point). Printing locally is
>> almost instant. I have the latest epson drivers dated 10/19/04. I also
>> have HP officejet6100 series printer connected to an XP Pro PC and all
>> pcs
>> can print to this one with ease (meaning it starts to print almost
>> instantly). Has anyone else
>> seen this with Epson printers in this scenario? Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks

Router, hub or switch?

> Interesting, but if that is the issue I would expect an immediate failure
> and and an appropriate message and I doubt if that was the cause I would
> see the long delay before the printing actually occurs? Regardless, there
> are only a total of 4 PCs on the LAN.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> XP Home only has a connection limitation of 5. The 6th PC has to wait
>> until one of the others disconnects before it can 'get through'. Either
>> connect the printer to an XP Pro PC (10 connection limit) or use a Print
>> Server:
>>
>> http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running XP SP2 (Pro and Home) on all PCs on my LAN. I have an
>>> EpsonC86
>>> printer connected via USB to an XP Home system. Printing to this
>>> printer
>>> from any other PC over the LAN is very very slow. What I mean is that
>>> it can take almost 5 minutes before it will start to print (printing is
>>> normal speed at that point). Printing locally is
>>> almost instant. I have the latest epson drivers dated 10/19/04. I also
>>> have HP officejet6100 series printer connected to an XP Pro PC and all
>>> pcs
>>> can print to this one with ease (meaning it starts to print almost
>>> instantly). Has anyone else
>>> seen this with Epson printers in this scenario? Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks

hubs

> Router, hub or switch?
> www.coribright.com
>
> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Interesting, but if that is the issue I would expect an immediate failure
>> and and an appropriate message and I doubt if that was the cause I would
>> see the long delay before the printing actually occurs? Regardless,
>> there are only a total of 4 PCs on the LAN.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> XP Home only has a connection limitation of 5. The 6th PC has to wait
>>> until one of the others disconnects before it can 'get through'. Either
>>> connect the printer to an XP Pro PC (10 connection limit) or use a Print
>>> Server:
>>>
>>> http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>>> www.coribright.com
>>>
>>> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

That's your problem. Use a switch or router.

> hubs
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Router, hub or switch?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Interesting, but if that is the issue I would expect an immediate
>>> failure and and an appropriate message and I doubt if that was the cause
>>> I would see the long delay before the printing actually occurs?
>>> Regardless, there are only a total of 4 PCs on the LAN.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

No, I don't think that's the problem at all. My other printers work fine.

> That's your problem. Use a switch or router.
> www.coribright.com
>
> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> hubs
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> Router, hub or switch?
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>>> www.coribright.com
>>>
>>> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Rule out any firewall issues caused by the default turned on behavior of it
in SP2. Also go to the exceptions tab of the firewall options to check File
and Printer Sharing.

Good luck,
Peter

> No, I don't think that's the problem at all. My other printers work fine.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> That's your problem. Use a switch or router.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "eblaster" <eblaster@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> hubs
>>>
>>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message