EQ2 Newbie question re: pets, plz help

My son has a L15 Sorcerer, and he's coming to me asking about pets he can
have - not the pets for his home, but the "sidekick" or helper types. He
says that some players have "crawlers" and "rumblers," and the like that
stay with the character all the time and can help the character in fights,
etc. I've seen them in the game, too, but I'm not a heavy player, so,
although I've read the manual and looked online, I can't give him the
information he needs.
Can someone clear this up for us?

Thank you,

jm
5 answers Last reply
More about newbie question pets help

    Jake wrote:
    > My son has a L15 Sorcerer, and he's coming to me asking about pets he can
    > have - not the pets for his home, but the "sidekick" or helper types. He
    > says that some players have "crawlers" and "rumblers," and the like that
    > stay with the character all the time and can help the character in fights,
    > etc. I've seen them in the game, too, but I'm not a heavy player, so,
    > although I've read the manual and looked online, I can't give him the
    > information he needs.
    > Can someone clear this up for us?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > jm

    Only summoners can have pets. The summon pet spells are given to
    summoners when they reach a certain lvl, just like a normal spell. I'm
    not sure if other classes can have pets, but I'm pretty sure it's only
    summoners.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:07:46 GMT, "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >My son has a L15 Sorcerer, and he's coming to me asking about pets he can
    >have - not the pets for his home, but the "sidekick" or helper types. He
    >says that some players have "crawlers" and "rumblers," and the like that
    >stay with the character all the time and can help the character in fights,
    >etc. I've seen them in the game, too, but I'm not a heavy player, so,
    >although I've read the manual and looked online, I can't give him the
    >information he needs.
    >Can someone clear this up for us?

    The pets you mention are Summoner pets. I believe Wizards get
    "familiars", which are kinda non combat pets. I'm not sure if they
    offer any benefit or not, my familiarity with Wizards comes from
    watching over the girlfriend's shoulder. Summoners later divide off
    into Necromancers (Freeporters) and Conjurers (Qeynos). Necromancers
    summon undead combat pets, while Conjurers summon elementals.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:07:46 GMT, "Jake" <j...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>My son has a L15 Sorcerer, and he's coming to me asking about pets he
    can
    >>have - not the pets for his home, but the "sidekick" or helper types.
    He
    >>says that some players have "crawlers" and "rumblers," and the like
    that
    >>stay with the character all the time and can help the character in
    fights,
    >>etc. I've seen them in the game, too, but I'm not a heavy player,
    so,
    >>although I've read the manual and looked online, I can't give him the

    >>information he needs.
    >>Can someone clear this up for us?

    >The pets you mention are Summoner pets. I believe Wizards get
    >"familiars", which are kinda non combat pets. I'm not sure if they
    >offer any benefit or not, my familiarity with Wizards comes from
    >watching over the girlfriend's shoulder. Summoners later divide off
    >into Necromancers (Freeporters) and Conjurers (Qeynos). Necromancers
    >summon undead combat pets, while Conjurers summon elementals.

    At lvl 20 Sorcerers can get a cat to follow them around but its a fluff
    spell (ie has no benefits other then looks)

    It you want one of any real use you need to be a summoner (and very
    good they are too)

    On 17 May 2005 01:48:21 -0700, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >>The pets you mention are Summoner pets. I believe Wizards get
    >>"familiars", which are kinda non combat pets. I'm not sure if they
    >>offer any benefit or not, my familiarity with Wizards comes from
    >>watching over the girlfriend's shoulder. Summoners later divide off
    >>into Necromancers (Freeporters) and Conjurers (Qeynos). Necromancers
    >>summon undead combat pets, while Conjurers summon elementals.
    >
    >At lvl 20 Sorcerers can get a cat to follow them around but its a fluff
    >spell (ie has no benefits other then looks)

    Yeah, think that's pretty much what the wizards get, too. Think they
    were called familiars. Like I said, my info on Wizards only comes from
    looking over the lady's shoulder as she plays. ;p

    --

    Dark Tyger wrote:

    > On 17 May 2005 01:48:21 -0700, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>>The pets you mention are Summoner pets. I believe Wizards get
    >>>"familiars", which are kinda non combat pets. I'm not sure if they
    >>>offer any benefit or not, my familiarity with Wizards comes from
    >>>watching over the girlfriend's shoulder. Summoners later divide off
    >>>into Necromancers (Freeporters) and Conjurers (Qeynos). Necromancers
    >>>summon undead combat pets, while Conjurers summon elementals.
    >>
    >>At lvl 20 Sorcerers can get a cat to follow them around but its a fluff
    >>spell (ie has no benefits other then looks)
    >

    > Yeah, think that's pretty much what the wizards get, too. Think they
    > were called familiars. Like I said, my info on Wizards only comes from
    > looking over the lady's shoulder as she plays. ;p

    Also Rangers have access to similar 'fluff' pets...my Ranger can summon
    to his side a hawk, but it does absolutely nothing at all but sit there.
    Something to be wary of if you're in battle and use 'target nearest NPC' ;-)

    --
    Michael Greenhalgh
    http://tripleb.co.uk

    EverQuest 2:
    Miglok Skreefyre of Venril Sathir, Hunter of Gnolls | Half-Elf Ranger |
    Lavastorm
    Rayd | Dwarf Summoner | Lavastorm

    Loony Goon Circus Guild | http://www.loonygooncircus.com |
    http://lgc.eq2guilds.org

    City of Heroes:
    Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue

    ---

Games Video Games