resending.
Sender: .
Billing code: .
Sender company: .
Sender dept: .
Recipient name: East Ridge Quickprint (Business Fax).
Recipient number: 555-1212
Device name: BCM V.92 56K Modem.

No additional help was available from the support link.

Now the saga: Everything use to work, I installed a new network
printer/scaner/fax multifunction software. When I realized that my XP based
fax stopped working I uninstalled the new device. Still did not work so I
removed and then readded the windows fax component. Nothing so I did the sam
with the fax modem, still same error.

I am at whits end I want to avoid doing a restore simce the rest of the
system is working properly and several software packages were added between
the time I added the multifunction box and the time my XP fax stopped working.

Does anyone know how to debug this, ,I am a programmer of 20 years. I
really don't like the fact that I can't see what the real underlying error is.

I really wish the error reporting was better.

Is ther a list some where of the services that need to be running on the box
for the FAX function to work?

Thank You.

--Don
10 answers Last reply
More about longer retries exceeded fatal error

    Windows XP Fax barely works in the most pristine settings. Once you've
    installed other fax software (even if you've removed it) it's usually toast.
    I can send you the instructions for PSS and debug logging if you provide me
    a valid email address.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "DIUPPA" <DIUPPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to send a fax I receive this message in the console:
    > Status = Retries Exceeded
    > Extended Status = Fatal error
    >
    > This happens immediately, does not even attempt to dial. If I try to
    > restart from the fax console it immediately fails again. I have even
    > tried a
    > fax just consisting of a cover page.
    >
    > In The event viewer - Application I have the following error:
    > An error was encountered while preparing to send the fax. The service will
    > not attempt to resend the fax. Please close other applications before
    > resending.
    > Sender: .
    > Billing code: .
    > Sender company: .
    > Sender dept: .
    > Recipient name: East Ridge Quickprint (Business Fax).
    > Recipient number: 555-1212
    > Device name: BCM V.92 56K Modem.

    > No additional help was available from the support link.
    >
    > Now the saga: Everything use to work, I installed a new network
    > printer/scaner/fax multifunction software. When I realized that my XP
    > based
    > fax stopped working I uninstalled the new device. Still did not work so I
    > removed and then readded the windows fax component. Nothing so I did the
    > sam
    > with the fax modem, still same error.
    >
    > I am at whits end I want to avoid doing a restore simce the rest of the
    > system is working properly and several software packages were added
    > between
    > the time I added the multifunction box and the time my XP fax stopped
    > working.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to debug this, ,I am a programmer of 20 years. I
    > really don't like the fact that I can't see what the real underlying error
    > is.
    >
    > I really wish the error reporting was better.
    >
    > Is ther a list some where of the services that need to be running on the
    > box
    > for the FAX function to work?
    >
    > Thank You.
    >
    > --Don

    That would be great my email is donaldiuppa@hotmail.com

    I did more testing yesterday and I can receive faxes, so the its 1/2 working.

    Thank You,

    --Don

    On its way.
    --
> [...]
    >> > so I
    >> > removed and then readded the windows fax component. Nothing so I did
    >> > the
    >> > sam
    >> > with the fax modem, still same error.
    >> >
    >> > I am at whits end I want to avoid doing a restore simce the rest of
    >> > the
    >> > system is working properly and several software packages were added
    >> > between
    >> > the time I added the multifunction box and the time my XP fax stopped
    >> > working.
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone know how to debug this, ,I am a programmer of 20 years. I
    >> > really don't like the fact that I can't see what the real underlying
    >> > error
    >> > is.
    >> >
    >> > I really wish the error reporting was better.
    >> >
    >> > Is ther a list some where of the services that need to be running on

    Russ,

    I don't have that set of instructions in my archives, could you send them
    to me, please?

    TIA,
    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    Sure.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > Russ,
    >
    > I don't have that set of instructions in my archives, could you send them
    > to me, please?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> On its way.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "diuppa" <diuppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> That would be great my email is donaldiuppa@hotmail.com
    >>>
    >>> I did more testing yesterday and I can receive faxes, so the its 1/2
    >>> working.
    >>>
    >>> Thank You,
    >>>
    >>> --Don

    Don we have received your log files through Russ. Thanks for the same. The
    problem seems to be with current TAPI location on the machine. Can you
    please try the following & reply to this mail with what you see.

    Go to Control Panel (Category View) > Printers and Other Hardware > Phone
    and Modem Options. Make sure the current dialing location is properly set
    here. Now retry your send operation.

    If it still fails, copy the error event log onto the post. Then we shall see
    if more log files need to be sent.

    --
    Raghavendra R
    purposes only.'

    > On its way.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "diuppa" <diuppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> That would be great my email is donaldiuppa@hotmail.com
    >>
    >> I did more testing yesterday and I can receive faxes, so the its 1/2
    >> working.
    >>
    >> Thank You,
    >>
    >> --Don
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows XP Fax barely works in the most pristine settings. Once you've
    >>> installed other fax software (even if you've removed it) it's usually
    >>> toast.
    >>> I can send you the instructions for PSS and debug logging if you provide
    >>> me
    >>> a valid email address.
    >>> --
    >>> Russ Valentine
    >>> [MVP-Outlook]
    >>> "DIUPPA" <DIUPPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thank you!
    The location entry was not selected as you suggested and when I did that it
    fixed my problem!

    "Raghavendra R [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Don we have received your log files through Russ. Thanks for the same. The
    > problem seems to be with current TAPI location on the machine. Can you
    > please try the following & reply to this mail with what you see.
    >
    > Go to Control Panel (Category View) > Printers and Other Hardware > Phone
    > and Modem Options. Make sure the current dialing location is properly set
    > here. Now retry your send operation.
    >
    > If it still fails, copy the error event log onto the post. Then we shall see
    > if more log files need to be sent.
    >
    > --
    > Raghavendra R
    > Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team
    > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
    > purposes only.'
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > On its way.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "diuppa" <diuppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> That would be great my email is donaldiuppa@hotmail.com
    > >>
    > >> I did more testing yesterday and I can receive faxes, so the its 1/2
    > >> working.
    > >>
    > >> Thank You,
    > >>
    > >> --Don

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    That is good news. Can you find out how the current location setting got
    removed? Perhaps something to do with installation of new hardware ...

    --
    Raghavendra R
    purposes only.'

    > Thank you!
    > The location entry was not selected as you suggested and when I did that
    > it
    > fixed my problem!
    >
    > "Raghavendra R [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Don we have received your log files through Russ. Thanks for the same.
    >> The
    >> problem seems to be with current TAPI location on the machine. Can you
    >> please try the following & reply to this mail with what you see.
    >>
    >> Go to Control Panel (Category View) > Printers and Other Hardware > Phone
    >> and Modem Options. Make sure the current dialing location is properly set
    >> here. Now retry your send operation.
    >>
    >> If it still fails, copy the error event log onto the post. Then we shall
    >> see
    >> if more log files need to be sent.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Raghavendra R
    >> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team
    >> rights.
    >> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    >> newsgroup
    >> purposes only.'
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > On its way.
    >> > --
    >> > Russ Valentine
    >> > [MVP-Outlook]
    >> > "diuppa" <diuppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Perhaps,
    What is the key name in the registry?

    "Raghavendra R [MSFT]" wrote:

    > That is good news. Can you find out how the current location setting got
    > removed? Perhaps something to do with installation of new hardware ...
    >
    > --
    > Raghavendra R
    > Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team
    > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
    > purposes only.'
    >
    > "diuppa" <diuppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you!
    > > The location entry was not selected as you suggested and when I did that
    > > it
    > > fixed my problem!
    > >
    > > "Raghavendra R [MSFT]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Don we have received your log files through Russ. Thanks for the same.
    > >> The
    > >> problem seems to be with current TAPI location on the machine. Can you
    > >> please try the following & reply to this mail with what you see.
    > >>
    > >> Go to Control Panel (Category View) > Printers and Other Hardware > Phone
    > >> and Modem Options. Make sure the current dialing location is properly set
    > >> here. Now retry your send operation.
    > >>
    > >> If it still fails, copy the error event log onto the post. Then we shall
    > >> see
    > >> if more log files need to be sent.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Raghavendra R
    > >> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team
    > >> rights.
    > >> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    > >> newsgroup
    > >> purposes only.'
    > >>
    > >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Locations\Location0]
    ------
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

Fax Windows XP