Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Pros and Cons for Win8

Tags:
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
October 31, 2012 6:39:26 PM

Hey, I was just wondering what you guys think of Win8 for engineers and gamers. I personally don't like the feel of it and I heard that it adds more steps to launching programs and games making applications slower and what not. Also since my computer is primarily for ProEngineer and hardcore gaming on the weekends and days off I would like to know from other people who use ProEngineer if they have seen a significant performance decrease after upgrading from WIn7 to 8.

More about : pros cons win8

October 31, 2012 7:06:31 PM

Limerick said:
Hey, I was just wondering what you guys think of Win8 for engineers and gamers. I personally don't like the feel of it and I heard that it adds more steps to launching programs and games making applications slower and what not. Also since my computer is primarily for ProEngineer and hardcore gaming on the weekends and days off I would like to know from other people who use ProEngineer if they have seen a significant performance decrease after upgrading from WIn7 to 8.

The only thing that would slow one down would be the metro interface, but it takes one click on the desktop icon to get rid of it. In my experience, most programs launch faster in WIN8, and browsers are noticeably zippier. Once you get past Metro, it is much like 7.

So pros are: fast operating system, responsive program launch, interfacing with other mobile devices, and anybody can use it even, (and especially) a 4 year old. Very secure, almost mitigates the need for antivirus/antispyware.

Cons: Dumbed down OS, not easy for experts to get to the nuts and bolts. Metro. Compatibility will be an issue for the foreseeable future. Growing pains. Different enough from WIN7 that many folks will not like it. The obvious bent toward mobile devices, not optimized for desktop use.
a b * Windows 8
October 31, 2012 7:09:02 PM

i just order the oem version for my newer rig. been running the beta of windows 8 on it and i can say it runs a lot faster then 7 does on newer hardware. as with windows 7 you have to have the ram for the os to be able to make a good size swap file. on starting windows 8 there one extra click to go from the main tile page to windows 8 desktop. as with windows 7 most of my main lanching apps like outlook and ie are right on the desktop and on the bottom tool bar of windows 8. there is a learning curve of windows 8 to learn where microsoft put the old shutdown button in windows 8 and windows system. i hope windows 8 flops or the biz community forces microsoft to put back the standard windows interface. the new tile interface i hate it and dont use it. most people like my self going to have 10-15 short cuts on the desktop.
Related resources
October 31, 2012 7:09:38 PM

As far as pro engineer goes, I have no experience with that but I imagine its like most software and would be mostly unaffected by the OS switch.

For gaming its good and will get better as time progresses. It will surpass WIN7 performance as the user c base increases. Tom's just wrote an article that describes Microsoft's efforts to immediately increase performance under Win8.
October 31, 2012 7:15:39 PM

buzznut said:
The only thing that would slow one down would be the metro interface, but it takes one click on the desktop icon to get rid of it. In my experience, most programs launch faster in WIN8, and browsers are noticeably zippier. Once you get past Metro, it is much like 7.

So pros are: fast operating system, responsive program launch, interfacing with other mobile devices, and anybody can use it even, (and especially) a 4 year old. Very secure, almost mitigates the need for antivirus/antispyware.

Cons: Dumbed down OS, not easy for experts to get to the nuts and bolts. Metro. Compatibility will be an issue for the foreseeable future. Growing pains. Different enough from WIN7 that many folks will not like it. The obvious bent toward mobile devices, not optimized for desktop use.

Yeah I may stave off the win8 upgrade because it isn't optimized for desktop use. I hope that they'll release something optimized for desktop use though.
October 31, 2012 8:34:54 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Have you read this yet? Looks like Win8 performs *slightly* better in almost all games. (1-5 fps) with the exception of sleeping dogs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-pe...

Not sure that's worth the $40 upgrade thou.

Yeah I have. I just really don't want to learn a whole new system. I really hope they make something a new os like win7, but much better performance wise like win8.
October 31, 2012 8:39:45 PM

Limerick said:
Yeah I have. I just really don't want to learn a whole new system. I really hope they make something a new os like win7, but much better performance wise like win8.

I wish the same. But highly doubtful in my opinion. Microsoft wants to be a major player in the tablet / touchscreen market. They want to utilize a single OS for all the devices which Win8 does well with the exception of keyboard/mice equipment. And even that is just an opinion on users. The OS as a whole is actually pretty easy to navigate.. Like anything new just takes a little time to get used to.

But for me.. It's Win 7 until I'm forced to upgrade for whatever reason in the future. I'll get my snappiness from an ssd instead :D 
October 31, 2012 8:57:35 PM

unoriginal1 said:

But for me.. It's Win 7 until I'm forced to upgrade for whatever reason in the future. I'll get my snappiness from an ssd instead :D 

This.
October 31, 2012 10:17:30 PM

unoriginal1 said:
I wish the same. But highly doubtful in my opinion. Microsoft wants to be a major player in the tablet / touchscreen market. They want to utilize a single OS for all the devices which Win8 does well with the exception of keyboard/mice equipment. And even that is just an opinion on users. The OS as a whole is actually pretty easy to navigate.. Like anything new just takes a little time to get used to.

Agreed. I probably will get the Intel 520 SSD for my system. Make it even more beastly. :na: 
a b * Windows 8
June 5, 2013 9:34:11 AM

unoriginal1 said:
Limerick said:

Which is why i got Linux Mint dual booted with Windows 7. I just need a modern OS to keep up with all the security and antivirus updates for the internet. Everything else i can use Windows 7 for now unless sometime in the far off future i'll need Windows again but for now Windows 7 has everything i need and Linux will work great for internet use for now. :) 
!