Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP slows down and totally freezes after printing.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 10:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi all,

Really hope someone can advise on this one...

I have this problem where Windows XP SP1 will just freeze and not
respond to anything except a cold reboot. I think from what I can tell
it corresponds to using my printer. Soon after I have printed
something out, menus (the ones that pop up from a right click of the
mouse) start to pop up slower and become fairly transparent too. Then
the PC will either stick like that or just stop responding to
anything...
I had it just now printing a couple of pdf files off the net... I
could see it coming.
Strange thing is that if I am able to open task manager successfully
before the point of freezing, then it shows all processes running at
00 (inc. system & system idle process)

My spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon 2.2GHz on ASROCK K7VT2
Nvidia Geforce 440 MX-SE
Canon BJC 2000 (LPT)
2 X network cards (1 X broadband, 1 X LAN)
Windows XP Pro SP1

I have tried a format and reinstall of Windows, have checked the
memory loads of times and installed the latest Canon drivers...

I may try buying a new printer...

But thought I’d post on here first, just in case anyone may have any
suggestions or similar experiences with XP doing this?

Cheers

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Print---Fax-Windows-XP-slo...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=691396
November 28, 2004 1:00:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Check and make sure that all the drivers (Video, printer, support chip set,
etc. ) are up to date.
Run a good virus checker.
Uninstall (not delete) the printer driver, disconnect the printer, and
reboot. reinstall the printer driver, and connect the printer.
Note - some printer drivers require a differnt driver install printer
connect sequence.
There may be an uninstall utility or cleanup utility on the canon web site,
as well as updated drivers.
Some of the symptoms you mention sound like the video driver and
acceleration settings may need to be changed.

"martyp" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:41a919d0$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Really hope someone can advise on this one...
>
> I have this problem where Windows XP SP1 will just freeze and not
> respond to anything except a cold reboot. I think from what I can tell
> it corresponds to using my printer. Soon after I have printed
> something out, menus (the ones that pop up from a right click of the
> mouse) start to pop up slower and become fairly transparent too. Then
> the PC will either stick like that or just stop responding to
> anything...
> I had it just now printing a couple of pdf files off the net... I
> could see it coming.
> Strange thing is that if I am able to open task manager successfully
> before the point of freezing, then it shows all processes running at
> 00 (inc. system & system idle process)
>
> My spec is as follows:
>
> AMD Athlon 2.2GHz on ASROCK K7VT2
> Nvidia Geforce 440 MX-SE
> Canon BJC 2000 (LPT)
> 2 X network cards (1 X broadband, 1 X LAN)
> Windows XP Pro SP1
>
> I have tried a format and reinstall of Windows, have checked the
> memory loads of times and installed the latest Canon drivers...
>
> I may try buying a new printer...
>
> But thought I'd post on here first, just in case anyone may have any
> suggestions or similar experiences with XP doing this?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Print---Fax-Windows-XP-slo...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=691396


---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date: 11/19/2004
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 9:29:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Chuck53" wrote:
> Check and make sure that all the drivers (Video, printer,
> support chip set,
> etc. ) are up to date.
> Run a good virus checker.
> Uninstall (not delete) the printer driver, disconnect the
> printer, and
> reboot. reinstall the printer driver, and connect the printer.
> Note - some printer drivers require a differnt driver install
> printer
> connect sequence.
> There may be an uninstall utility or cleanup utility on the
> canon web site,
> as well as updated drivers.
> Some of the symptoms you mention sound like the video driver
> and
> acceleration settings may need to be changed.
>
> "martyp" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> news:41a919d0$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Really hope someone can advise on this one...
> >
> > I have this problem where Windows XP SP1 will just freeze
> and not
> > respond to anything except a cold reboot. I think from what
> I can tell
> > it corresponds to using my printer. Soon after I have
> printed
> > something out, menus (the ones that pop up from a right
> click of the
> > mouse) start to pop up slower and become fairly transparent
> too. Then
> > the PC will either stick like that or just stop responding
> to
> > anything...
> > I had it just now printing a couple of pdf files off the
> net... I
> > could see it coming.
> > Strange thing is that if I am able to open task manager
> successfully
> > before the point of freezing, then it shows all processes
> running at
> > 00 (inc. system & system idle process)
> >
> > My spec is as follows:
> >
> > AMD Athlon 2.2GHz on ASROCK K7VT2
> > Nvidia Geforce 440 MX-SE
> > Canon BJC 2000 (LPT)
> > 2 X network cards (1 X broadband, 1 X LAN)
> > Windows XP Pro SP1
> >
> > I have tried a format and reinstall of Windows, have checked
> the
> > memory loads of times and installed the latest Canon
> drivers...
> >
> > I may try buying a new printer...
> >
> > But thought I'd post on here first, just in case anyone may
> have any
> > suggestions or similar experiences with XP doing this?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > --
> > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Print---Fax-Windows-XP-slo...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=691396
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.799 / Virus Database: 543 - Release Date:
> 11/19/2004

Great stuff, thanks for the response.

I found updated drivers for my NVidia card and installed them. That
was great, gave a whole load of new funky config settings...

No newer drivers for the printer available.

I wasn’t sure about the chipset drivers for the mobo as it is an
ASROCK K7VT2 and a KT266 VIA chipset. Apparently the latest drivers on
Viaarena.com aren’t really intended for an older chipset like mine...

So far so good, no problems as yet. may go for changing hardware
acceleration...

The other issue I had was with Svchost.exe running with RpcSs at 100%
but have installed the patch and seems fine now...(not blaster, sasser
or welchia...)

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Print---Fax-Windows-XP-slo...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=698019
!