Cooling problem

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
I've got problem with my new cooler - ALPHA PAL 6030 MUC (at least i think it's "MUC2 - it has copper core) @3800 rpm.
Processor is AMD Thunderbird 1.4 ghz (1.33 OC).
Temperature moves from 52-60 degrees celsius depending on processor usage.
Before this one i've had TTake DragonORB3 which kept temperature around 42-44. (most interesting thing about it is that when i was using that cooler there was no compound installed).
I am using Titan Silver grease (crappy compound i know, but i haven't been able to get better one yet) and do you think that problem might be in the compound???
I am not sure how good compound is placed on to processor core.
Computer Case is AOpen with ATX 2.03 standard.
P.S. Motherboard - Abit KG7
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sisko on 02/23/02 02:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
take out your hsf ,clean the bottom of the heatsink with acetone then maybe lap it. clean the cpu die ,apply a REASONABLE amount of heastsink compound then try again.

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
Thx, i'll try that. When i bought Alpha, i found 8 soft pads (4 for use, 4 reserve) which i attached to cooler's base (it should protect processor core against phisical damage) i've attached them right, but could problem be in them (maybe they are too high, and heatsink's base has poor contact with core?

To assimilate, or not to assimilate?
Question is irrelevant.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
STOP!!!! The pads are not to be used with an Athlon processor. I currently use the Alpha Pal - 6035 and If I am correct the pads on the processor are the only one's to use. The ones that come with the sink are for pentium processsors. This could cause your heatsink to not properly mesh with the die of your processor and cause an definate increase in temperature.

There should be no need to lap the Alpha sink, as Alpha is probably the best quality heatsinks on the market.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
NOOOOOOO dont use them, athys have their own, they WILL fick up your cpu

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Isn't the Alpha PAL6030 a P3 heatsink?

Even if I'm wrong I'd be surprised if a 60x60x30 heatsink with a 3800 RPM fan could perform on par with the Dragon ORB 3 with its 7K RPM fan.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
when i say " applying new thermal compound" i mean high performance ones such as the Arctic silver range particularly AS2 and AS3.. thermal pad tends to be very low perforamce

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
Yes. I'm getting new Arctic silver 2 today, new Thermaltake DC fan (with thermal regulation), and Titan SEB (system exaust blower apparently 52 CFM). TTake will be assigned as intake fan, and Titan as outtake fan for my graphic card.
I was wondering about second TTake DC fan (80mm) and place it on the back of the case and link the cooler on the processor with it (with some hard plastic or hard paper) to make "air tunnel" so he will be assigned to extract hot air from the processor out of the case.
What do you think about it?
Also those TTake fans are quite silent (only 2900~4000 rpm depending on case temp.).

Question is irrelevant.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I use an Alpha Pal-6035MFC heatsink, originally considered a Socket 370 heatsink, on top of my 1ghz Athlon Overclocked to 1312 145x9. Using a TT 60mm 30cfm 28db fan I get around 39C for idle, and 45C at load.

It's not all heatsink/fan, case cooling is also a main ingredient. In fact I say it 70/30 case/heatsink. But that's just me.

Oh yeah that at 1.75v.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
39-45 degrees? I'm impressed.

My Tbird 1.0@1.33 ghz (1.87 volts) has about the same temps. At 1.5 ghz (150*10, 1.97 volts) it runs from 42 to about 48 degrees. However, I needed to add a Delta fan to my Galaxy GC21 cooler (same heatsink as a Volcano 5 but with a 6-tab clip). Using the stock fan I get about 2 degree higher temperatures. The stock fan was quieter but somehow it was also more irritating to listen to.

I agree with you, for the most part, about the 70/30 thing, except that changing a CPU fan is easier. The more CFMs the more the heatsink cools, given the heatsink remains the same. It's that simple. With a case it's more complicated. The airflow path becomes part of the equation. Case cooling is very important, though.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
I've made some modifications, and now my case looks like this: <A HREF="http://sk.gamer.hr/images/cooling.gif" target="_new">http://sk.gamer.hr/images/cooling.gif</A>

Question is irrelevant.

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
Before - CPU idle - 57 Celsius
CPU max used - 60 -//-
Interrior idle - 33 -//-
Interrior max - 36 -//-

Now - CPU idle - 42 cel.
CPU max - 45-46
Interrior idle - 20
Interrior max - 24
(After aplying AS2).

Correction - my exaust fan is located next to the processor fan (so it takes and ejects air directly from processor fan)
I drilled a big hole on the one of 2 plates of the case (sliding plates) and attached (screwed) TTake DC fan on it so it blows hot processor air directly out of the case.
It's not noisy (it is, but not irritating as some high speed fans) noise is similar of that of air condition :)

Question is irrelevant.