Apple Laserwriter 8500 for XP

having problems setting up laserwriter 8500 for Xp. have got computer linked
to laserwriter through small office network.

Shannon

Windows XP distribution CD does have a driver for that printer. However,
you do not provide enough detail about the setup to enable much help
aside from suggesting you run the add a printer wizard and select
Network. Then follow on-screen prompts. I suspect you have tried at
least that much.

Let us know more about the machine to which the printer attaches. It's
operating system, source of the printer driver used on that machine.

Also, since you are printing across a network, posting the question to
the XP networking newsgroup might be useful.

Let us know.
Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"shannon" <shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: having problems setting up laserwriter 8500 for Xp. have got computer
linked
: to laserwriter through small office network.
:
: Shannon

Add new Printer.
Local Printer.
Create new port --> Standard TCP/IP.
Add IP address of printer.
Standard --> Apple Network Printer

This works for me.

"shannon" wrote:

> having problems setting up laserwriter 8500 for Xp. have got computer linked
> to laserwriter through small office network.
>
> Shannon

I have 2 Macs running OSX and an Apple Laserwriter 16/600 all networked
into an Asante router with built-in 4 port switch, I am also using an
Apple Extreme Base station as an access point for my Powerbook, all
Macs can print fine to the laserwriter, I now had to buy a PC for my
wife's job, the PC is connected to the router also via ethernet and I
can access the internet fine from ALL the computers, but I am unable to
print from the PC to the Laserwriter, do you have any idea how to do
this, Compaq who makes the PC says it is outside their support realm.

I read your previous post about setting it up, how can I find out the
IP address of my Laserwriter.

If the router is in a DHCP mode you can find out the IP address of the
printer by logging in to the admin screen of the router. If another PC (or
Mac) is assigning IP addresses, ask the Server that is doing the assigning.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"The Enforcer" <enforcer@iname.com> wrote in message

> I have 2 Macs running OSX and an Apple Laserwriter 16/600 all networked
> into an Asante router with built-in 4 port switch, I am also using an
> Apple Extreme Base station as an access point for my Powerbook, all
> Macs can print fine to the laserwriter, I now had to buy a PC for my
> wife's job, the PC is connected to the router also via ethernet and I
> can access the internet fine from ALL the computers, but I am unable to
> print from the PC to the Laserwriter, do you have any idea how to do
> this, Compaq who makes the PC says it is outside their support realm.
>
> I read your previous post about setting it up, how can I find out the
> IP address of my Laserwriter.

I think the network interface information is printed on one of the printer
startup pages. Configure the printer to print the startup page and power
cycle the printer.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team