Event ID: 6161
Date: 29/11/2004
Time: 22:13:26
User: BREVETODES\Guest
Computer: BREVETODES
The description for Event ID ( 6161 ) in Source ( Print ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
Microsoft Word - Document1; Guest; hp deskjet 990c series; NT EMF 1.008;
18087936; 0; 1; 0; \\BREVETODES; 5 (0x5); . "

In print manager I can see very quick spooling and document printing but the
printer never prints. I can print from a other compueter to this shared
printer , I can print as a Administrator. I can print though as a user when
I set : print directly to printer. So it looks like spooling doesnot work
for other users and does for Administrator on the same computer. Another
computer connected can print to this printer.

What is happening ?

Greetings Frans
2 answers Last reply
More about users print

    Error 5 is access denied. Most likely the user accounts were denied access
    to \windows\system32\spool\printers. Check the security on this directory.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "brevetodes" <cfranswentzel#@#hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > winxp pro:
    >
    > this is event log: when trying to print from MSWord for instance ( as a
    > user) :
    > "Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Print
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 6161
    > Date: 29/11/2004
    > Time: 22:13:26
    > User: BREVETODES\Guest
    > Computer: BREVETODES
    > The description for Event ID ( 6161 ) in Source ( Print ) cannot be found.
    > The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    > message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
    > able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
    and
    > Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
    > Microsoft Word - Document1; Guest; hp deskjet 990c series; NT EMF 1.008;
    > 18087936; 0; 1; 0; \\BREVETODES; 5 (0x5); . "
    >

    > In print manager I can see very quick spooling and document printing but
    the
    > printer never prints. I can print from a other compueter to this shared
    > printer , I can print as a Administrator. I can print though as a user
    when
    > I set : print directly to printer. So it looks like spooling doesnot work
    > for other users and does for Administrator on the same computer. Another
    > computer connected can print to this printer.
    >
    > What is happening ?
    >
    > Greetings Frans

    I'm having what appears to be a very similar issue with a Brother
    MFC-5100 under Windows XP SP2. Print jobs are deleted almost
    immediately from the queue without actually printing, and result in the
    following system log message.

    The description for Event ID ( 6161 ) in Source ( Print ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
    information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
    computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
    description; see Help and Support for details. The following
    information is part of the event: WRM Sample 2005.xls, David, Brother
    MFC-5100C, NT EMF 1.008, 27308, 0, 1, 0, \\DAVESLAPTOP, 1121 (0x461),
    ..

    This appears to have a different error code than the parent post. What
    is it, and is there a concise list of these codes somewhere in the KB
    for future reference? I've tried searching for all the terms I can
    think of without any success.

    --
    ryusoma

Computers Windows XP