Sign in with
Your question

Will 4 SSD's doing Raid 0 Improve The Sims 3?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Sims
  • SSD
  • NAS / RAID
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 1, 2012 11:25:11 PM

Hi. I am planning on buying Four Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD's and put them in my 4 Marvell Ports on my Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 Motherboard which are the 6Gb/s each.

Those of you who have The Sims 3 understand one of the biggest pain in the butt to deal with, and it's when you click and put on clothing, then suddenly the game has to reload all that clothes all over again! It's annoying. So my Player Root Folder is 17.9GB because of Mods and all that stuff which is why my game is sooo sluggish loading objects and stuff in the bin.

All i really want to know is, if 4 SSD's will improve this? Oooor would it be better to Upgrade to the Intel i7 3770k Ivy Bridge Processor? I asked about this before and they told me comparing that IVY Bridge to 4 SSD's in Raid 0 was hard lol. Let me know because i would HATE HATE HATE to buy them and then....find out The Sims 3 is still doing the same thing it's doing now.

-Currently running Raid 0 with 2 HDD's.
-Currently running a GTX 670
-Currently running 8GB (cheap boring memory lol)
-Currently running Intel i7 2600 (no K) Processor

More about : ssd raid improve sims

August 2, 2012 2:18:45 PM

Anyone? Grrr lol. I was hoping to get an answer before the third. :) 
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:24:01 PM

I don't think the RAID 0 will help much unless you get an expensive dedicated RAID controller but if you don't currently have a SSD then it will make a big difference to all loading times.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2012 2:24:52 PM

Forgot to say I am no expert and you may get a better answer if you post in the storage section of this forum.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:26:46 PM

Going from an HDD to an SSD even without RAID will be huge step up in terms of loading times.

As for your processor, youd only see a small increase going from your Sandy bridge i7 to an Ivy bridge i7, so unless you have some way of selling your current i7 for a reasonable price, then the benefit:cost ratio would not be all that good.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:02:55 PM

Does SSD raid support trim by now? last time I checked it wasn't worth it raiding SSDs, because it shortened their lifespan.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:30:15 PM

Angelz said:
Anyone? Grrr lol. I was hoping to get an answer before the third. :) 

You only have to look at the charts on tom's 'best ssd's for the money' to see that even one single ssd will wipe the floor with a raid0 w/2xhdd in terms of loading times. Gallarian has it right.

Prove it to yourself:- Buy one ssd and install your game on it. Breathe a sigh of relief as the game runs just the way you want it to.

Q
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:01:12 PM

Alright! I super appreciate all of the responses you've all given me thanks! I made the board to see if there was actually someone running the game in SSD's lol. I've seen a person on Youtube but he was doing it with 1 SSD. lol. :p 

I only have 2 Intel ports on the board that are 6gb/s which stinks and then there's the 4 marvell ones. Or... Maybe i should just...buy the 3770k Ivy Bridge and 1 SSD for now. See if that will do something :p 
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:29:07 PM

Angelz said:
Alright! I super appreciate all of the responses you've all given me thanks! I made the board to see if there was actually someone running the game in SSD's lol. I've seen a person on Youtube but he was doing it with 1 SSD. lol. :p 

I only have 2 Intel ports on the board that are 6gb/s which stinks and then there's the 4 marvell ones. Or... Maybe i should just...buy the 3770k Ivy Bridge and 1 SSD for now. See if that will do something :p 

Save your money - just go with one SSD and plug it into a 6Gb/s slot. The 3770k will make so little difference to the game as to be not worth it.

Q
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:30:47 PM

To answer your earlier question - As far as I know, TRIM is still only supported on one SSD.

(Some one please correct me if that is no longer the case)
m
l
August 2, 2012 5:03:46 PM

Okay thank you guys. :) 

I just... want my sims items to load faster than waiting a million years.. ^^
m
l
!