DeskPro EN

Just been given a DeskPro, the label says DPENS P450+/6.4/W5 UK. It is
not fitted with a CD and appears to need a low profile model.
Additionally the connector on the logic board marked CD appears to be
non standard. Does this all mean that only a Compaq drive can be fitted
to it. I've got it up and running for now by putting a SCSI card in and
attaching and old (and slow) external drive.

Thanks,

Alec
3 answers Last reply
More about deskpro

    Alec,

    You are absolutely right. I'm sure somebody could conjure up the attachment of
    a more generic CD-ROM drive from a notebook, but the most direct way to get a
    CD-ROM drive in the chassis is to acquire the Compaq part with cable.

    The newer Compaq small form factor (SFF) DeskPros use a standard half-height
    CD-ROM drive... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Alec,
    >
    > You are absolutely right. I'm sure somebody could conjure up the attachment of
    > a more generic CD-ROM drive from a notebook, but the most direct way to get a
    > CD-ROM drive in the chassis is to acquire the Compaq part with cable.
    >
    > The newer Compaq small form factor (SFF) DeskPros use a standard half-height
    > CD-ROM drive... Ben Myers

    Thanks Ben, I'll keep an eye on eBay just in case.

    Regards,

    Alec

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Alec,
    >
    > You are absolutely right. I'm sure somebody could conjure up the attachment of
    > a more generic CD-ROM drive from a notebook, but the most direct way to get a
    > CD-ROM drive in the chassis is to acquire the Compaq part with cable.

    By a strange coincidence I've just located and won a drive and cable of
    eBay. Is it just a matter of plugging it in or are there any settings
    that need to be changed?

    Regards,

    Alec

Compaq CD-Rom Computers