Port scan attack logged?

ebg

For the past month or so, I've been getting a pop-up that says "PORT SCAN
ATTACK LOOGGED".

It happens probably 20 times a day.....very annoying.

Using Sygate personal firewall.

I've looked at the traffic log and see that "something" was blocked......the
pop up is driving me nuts.

Anyone know anything about this?

It's called Marketing Department Bullshit, which is much more misleading and
annoying than the IBR that prompts it. If you were really being "attacked," your
firewall popups could never keep up. Most, more likely all, of the hits
registered by your firewall are either misdirected packets (IBR) or someone's
infected computer randomly scanning for other infected computers. If you have
some way to turn the damned popup off, do it.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:23:13 -0500, EBG spoketh

>For the past month or so, I've been getting a pop-up that says "PORT SCAN
>ATTACK LOOGGED".
>
>It happens probably 20 times a day.....very annoying.
>
>Using Sygate personal firewall.
>
>I've looked at the traffic log and see that "something" was blocked......the
>pop up is driving me nuts.
>
>Anyone know anything about this?

Only 20 a day?

Consider configuring your firewall to not pop up warnings for these
events...

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

ebg

Thanks.

I don't think it's doing any harm....I do have a popup blocker but this is
coming from the lower right side task bar.

Wierd.

Could it be something that has installed itself on my computer....just to
piss me off....or an actual attempt to get into my system?

I don't see any reference at all to Sygate personal firewall on it.

By the way....it just happened during the middle of me writing this.

""Crash" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in message
> It's called Marketing Department Bullshit, which is much more misleading
and
> annoying than the IBR that prompts it. If you were really being
"attacked," your
> firewall popups could never keep up. Most, more likely all, of the hits
> registered by your firewall are either misdirected packets (IBR) or
someone's
> infected computer randomly scanning for other infected computers. If you
have
> some way to turn the damned popup off, do it.
> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
> http://lists.gpick.com

>I don't think it's doing any harm....I do have a popup blocker but this is
>coming from the lower right side task bar.

A popup blocker won't have any effect. It only stops web based popups, not
application alerts.

>Could it be something that has installed itself on my computer....just to
>piss me off....or an actual attempt to get into my system?

That wouldn't cause Sygate to alert you to inbound attempts.

>I don't see any reference at all to Sygate personal firewall on it.

I am not familiar with Sygate, but there should be an option somewhere to
control alerts.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

Billh

> >I don't think it's doing any harm....I do have a popup blocker but this
is
> >coming from the lower right side task bar.
>
> A popup blocker won't have any effect. It only stops web based popups, not
> application alerts.
>
> >Could it be something that has installed itself on my computer....just to
> >piss me off....or an actual attempt to get into my system?
>
> That wouldn't cause Sygate to alert you to inbound attempts.
>
> >I don't see any reference at all to Sygate personal firewall on it.
>
> I am not familiar with Sygate, but there should be an option somewhere to
> control alerts.
> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
> http://lists.gpick.com

If the offending alert is the small box that pops up in the lower right
corner of the screen there should be a check box to stop it from displaying.
You can also turn off notification in the Tools Options General tab screen.
This may turn off every notification possibly, I don't know.
I use Sygate Personal free version and I rarely if ever get such
notifications. I am behind a Linksys router thought maybe that blocks it if
I am being scanned.
Billh

In article <GuydnWsT2vGzceLdRVn-jg@comcast.com>, maberger@comcast.net says...
> For the past month or so, I've been getting a pop-up that says "PORT SCAN
> ATTACK LOOGGED".
>
> It happens probably 20 times a day.....very annoying.
>
> Using Sygate personal firewall.
>
> I've looked at the traffic log and see that "something" was blocked......the
> pop up is driving me nuts.
>
> Anyone know anything about this?

On some of the Sygate popup alert windows (possibly all) there
is a statement "Don't Show This Again" If you see this on the
Port Scan alert window, click it.

In article <MPG.1aeb13edf20bf5f698970e@news.west.earthlink.net>, rheem@fulboar.net says...
> In article <GuydnWsT2vGzceLdRVn-jg@comcast.com>, maberger@comcast.net says...
> > For the past month or so, I've been getting a pop-up that says "PORT SCAN
> > ATTACK LOOGGED".
> >
> > It happens probably 20 times a day.....very annoying.
> >
> > Using Sygate personal firewall.
> >
> > I've looked at the traffic log and see that "something" was blocked......the
> > pop up is driving me nuts.
> >
> > Anyone know anything about this?
> >

> On some of the Sygate popup alert windows (possibly all) there
> is a statement "Don't Show This Again" If you see this on the
> Port Scan alert window, click it.

Also, at tools/options/general there is "Hide Notification Messages".
Try checking it.

woody

You don't get the pop ups from the internet side because the router blocks
them before they get to the computer. The reason for a software firewall
with a router is to notify you of any programs trying to get out of your
computer...

"billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote in message

> ""Crash" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in message
> > >I don't think it's doing any harm....I do have a popup blocker but this
> is
> > >coming from the lower right side task bar.
> >
> > A popup blocker won't have any effect. It only stops web based popups,
not
> > application alerts.
> >
> > >Could it be something that has installed itself on my computer....just
> > >piss me off....or an actual attempt to get into my system?
> >
> > That wouldn't cause Sygate to alert you to inbound attempts.
> >
> > >I don't see any reference at all to Sygate personal firewall on it.
> >
> > I am not familiar with Sygate, but there should be an option somewhere
> > control alerts.
> > --
> > Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> > crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
> > http://lists.gpick.com
> >

> If the offending alert is the small box that pops up in the lower right
> corner of the screen there should be a check box to stop it from
displaying.
> You can also turn off notification in the Tools Options General tab
screen.
> This may turn off every notification possibly, I don't know.
> I use Sygate Personal free version and I rarely if ever get such
> notifications. I am behind a Linksys router thought maybe that blocks it
if
> I am being scanned.
> Billh

If you have the option, you could set the firewall to show only High
Alerts. Ordinary port scans won't show in the popup alert then.
charlie R