New Hardware detection kept detecting my printer (HP LJ1200) even though the
printer was previously installed months ago. Applied resolution from
KB298370 and uninstalled the printer.

When I tried to reinstall, get the error "Cannot install this hardware. An
Error occurred during the installation of this device. The printer driver is
unknown." I'm using the HP supplied driver which is a signed driver.

Any ideas on how to reinstall?

TIA,
Steve Allen

Whenever installing printer drivers, always turn off Virus scanning during
installation. This is probably necessary for all device driver installations.
Step 1: uninstall the printer driver. Step 2: turn off virus scanning
software. Step 3: reinstall printer driver. Step 4: reboot (restoring virus
scanning).

"Steve Allen" wrote:

> New Hardware detection kept detecting my printer (HP LJ1200) even though the
> printer was previously installed months ago. Applied resolution from
> KB298370 and uninstalled the printer.
>
> When I tried to reinstall, get the error "Cannot install this hardware. An
> Error occurred during the installation of this device. The printer driver is
> unknown." I'm using the HP supplied driver which is a signed driver.
>
> Any ideas on how to reinstall?
>
> TIA,
> Steve Allen

See if the information at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddNewFails.htm
helps.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

"Steve Allen" <Steve Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New Hardware detection kept detecting my printer (HP LJ1200) even though
> the
> printer was previously installed months ago. Applied resolution from
> KB298370 and uninstalled the printer.
>
> When I tried to reinstall, get the error "Cannot install this hardware.
> An
> Error occurred during the installation of this device. The printer driver
> is
> unknown." I'm using the HP supplied driver which is a signed driver.
>
> Any ideas on how to reinstall?
>
> TIA,
> Steve Allen

Philippe

Hi,

Since I have installed WXP SP2, I cannot install an HP PSC 2410 printer.
I search any tips to help me so I am following instructions of KB298370
article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370 )

This following error message occurs while I'm deleting the key
(where devicename is the name of the device I have not used since few month
and I uninstalled)

Cannot delete devicename: Error while deleting the key

Why this key can not be deleted ? What can I do to delete this key ?

Thank you in advance for any help
------
Philip

"Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
| See if the information at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddNewFails.htm
| helps.
|
| --
| Bruce Sanderson MVP
|
| It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
|

| "Steve Allen" <Steve Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > New Hardware detection kept detecting my printer (HP LJ1200) even though
| > the
| > printer was previously installed months ago. Applied resolution from
| > KB298370 and uninstalled the printer.
| >
| > When I tried to reinstall, get the error "Cannot install this hardware.
| > An
| > Error occurred during the installation of this device. The printer
driver
| > is
| > unknown." I'm using the HP supplied driver which is a signed driver.
| >
| > Any ideas on how to reinstall?
| >
| > TIA,
| > Steve Allen

Unfortunately, this article fails to mention that this key has permissions
set so that only the Built-in account SYSTEM has permission to modify or
delete it.

To delete this key, you must first modify the permissions so that you have
appropriate permissions. In regedit:

Right click on the key (left pane of registry editor)
Select Permissions
Select the Everyone entry
Click on the box in the Full Control row and the Allow column
Click OK

Now you should be able to delete that key.

--

"Philippe" <pbonal@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Since I have installed WXP SP2, I cannot install an HP PSC 2410 printer.
> I search any tips to help me so I am following instructions of KB298370
> article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370 )
>
> This following error message occurs while I'm deleting the key
> (where devicename is the name of the device I have not used since few
> month
> and I uninstalled)
>

> Cannot delete devicename: Error while deleting the key
>

> Why this key can not be deleted ? What can I do to delete this key ?
>

> Thank you in advance for any help
> ------
> Philip
>

> "Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
> | See if the information at
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddNewFails.htm
> | helps.
> |
> | --
> | Bruce Sanderson MVP
> |
> | It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
> |

> | "Steve Allen" <Steve Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > New Hardware detection kept detecting my printer (HP LJ1200) even
> though
> | > the
> | > printer was previously installed months ago. Applied resolution from
> | > KB298370 and uninstalled the printer.
> | >
> | > When I tried to reinstall, get the error "Cannot install this
> hardware.
> | > An
> | > Error occurred during the installation of this device. The printer
> driver
> | > is
> | > unknown." I'm using the HP supplied driver which is a signed driver.
> | >
> | > Any ideas on how to reinstall?
> | >
> | > TIA,
> | > Steve Allen

Delta

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

Did turning off the virus protection help you install your printer?9