Overclocking a laptop

G

I just read a great review of a Toshiba laptop in Tom's Hardware Guide and thought, if there was a place for this question, this would be it.

I've successfully overclocked my Gforce video card slightly and am extremely pleased with the result. However, the FSB (Front Side Bus) has me completely stumped. Does anybody have a suggestion about how I can detect and identify the PLL (Phase Locked Loop) on my motherboard so that I can increase the FSB speed without opening the case?

I've tried SiSoft Sandra and any number of other utilities, to no avail. At this point, it seems to me only someone with a connection at Toshiba could help.

Thanks,
SRS

Computer Name: Toshiba Satellite 3000
Machine Type: IBM PC AT (Mobile PIII)
Motherboard Model: Null ATL02
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 830MP
Bios: Phoenix Technologies
Bios Date: November 9, 2001

Trumphent

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
Umm, the manufacturers of notebooks believe overclocking is not the reason why you bought their computer. Your options are thwarted intentionally. They have their reasons, a lot of them have to do with warranty issues. You don't offer things like same day pickup and next day delivery for the overclocker.

The cooling on a notebook will not tolerate the abuse of the average overclocker.

Anything you do with a notebook involving overclocking, you do so at your own risk.

Signature? We don' need no stinkin' signature!

G

Thanks for your reply. I know Toshiba has decided for me that overclocking is not prudent, and that I do so at my own risk. My intention is not to overdo it, and is therefore to thwart Toshiba's effort to thwart mine. Any suggestion on how I can get around Toshiba's effort in favor of accomplishing mine would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.