Teamwork-based game

bradyarch

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hey guys. I did do a search on this but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a good buddy who I like to play PC games with. We played League for a good while and enjoyed it, but I don't so much want League or WoW anymore.
Games like them are fine, but I'm looking for something incredibly teamwork oriented (there is just two of us though so the game can be anything that needs 2+ for teamwork).

If you could recommend some games here and how+why they require good, communicative teamwork, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Solution
Dota 2, if you can get into the beta or once it comes out, is very team oriented and, IMO, a lot better than League. (after all dota came before league)

BF3 is supposed to be team work oriented, but my guess is it's more than 2 people that would need to cooperate. Plus, I haven't had the first hand experience in multiplayer.

You can try various other MMOs besides WoW. I mean questing toghether is always a good co-op. I'd say have a look at Guild Wars 2 (coming out soon)

Try games like splinter cell conviction. It has a fantastic single player story and game play, but it also has coop missions that parallel the story and share the gameplay.

That's about all I can think of right now. Plenty of games have an option where instead of...

bradyarch

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

He does play SC2 and he's said he wants me to play too... So it's super team-oriented? How so, would you mind explaining?

Its hard to explain without knowing what you know about the game already. Its a fast paced RTS game. There is a single player campaign but multi player is a series of matches that are not linked which you can play 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 or free for all. In 2v2 or more it is important to coordinate your attacks and defence and build units that compliment each other. also if you play different races there are things like Terrans medivacs can heal all Zerg units that only heal themselves slowly and there SCVs can repair Protoss robotic units that normally only regenerate shields. You can play the starter edition for free to try it, I think you can only use 2 multiplayer maps and only have the 1st few single player parts see http://starcraft-ii-starter-edition.en.softonic.com/

G

Search co-op pc games.

Here`s a small list to get you started
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343770/features/the-15-top-must-play-co-op-games/

Dota 2, if you can get into the beta or once it comes out, is very team oriented and, IMO, a lot better than League. (after all dota came before league)

BF3 is supposed to be team work oriented, but my guess is it's more than 2 people that would need to cooperate. Plus, I haven't had the first hand experience in multiplayer.

You can try various other MMOs besides WoW. I mean questing toghether is always a good co-op. I'd say have a look at Guild Wars 2 (coming out soon)

Try games like splinter cell conviction. It has a fantastic single player story and game play, but it also has coop missions that parallel the story and share the gameplay.

That's about all I can think of right now. Plenty of games have an option where instead of playing a free for all you could ally with your friend and play the game as coop.

The only games that really do stand out where teamwork is at the core of the game are MOBAs, which you already have experience with.

Solution

bradyarch

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Yeah. That sounds pretty tight. "Complimenting" one another. That's the term I've been looking for all this time. Because in League, you can both attack the same guy and do well, but I LOVE supporting and being supported. So that's the word I've been looking for, thanks for helping clear it up. I looked into SC2 very briefly, and I thought Protoss would be really sick, and the examples you gave are good examples that helped me understand. It sounds really interesting. I'm going to try the starter edition and see how it goes. My buddy is actually really good at SC2 anyways. Thanks for the help Simon!

bradyarch

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Search co-op pc games.

Here`s a small list to get you started
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343770/features/the-15-top-must-play-co-op-games/

I should have specified a little clearer, my apologies. I do enjoy co-op but I meant multiplayer. I would play games like Trine and Dungeon Defenders because I like their co-op traits, but I kind of prefer only multiplayer. Thank you for responding though!

bradyarch

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I'm not a huuuuge fan of DotA, where I am of League. BF3 is very cool, I like it a lot when I don't get destroyed constantly, but my friend doesn't think there is much strategy involved (I know, shame, because there's a ton). I do like other MMOs, but we've played both Aion and Tera together but got bored because of the grinding... It's just not very fun. It's so Korean and feels like all you ever do is repeatedly kill the same thing. Beautiful games too, but the gear and bodies of the characters are just begging to be stared at, and it's too distracting.
Diablo III is fun to level in, but I don't feel very much complimenting going on in multiplayer. The only teamwork is "yo, kill this one guy with me". I do love the game though, don't get me wrong.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will keep looking into stuff. I responded to Simon how I feel: I agree with complimenting each other. Not just trying to achieve the same goals, if you know what I mean. Again, thank you for the suggestions! Means a lot. :)

Guild Wars 2, there should be no grinding component and you can support your friend and then switch weapons and he can support you and you'll do the damage. It's very flexible game, not to mention good looking.

Splinter Cell coop is made around working toghether, you won't be able to complete the mission without your partner.