Receiving Incomplete Faxes

Hi Everyone, For some time now i've been using Microsoft Fax (WinXP Pro) and
i've been receiving some incomplete faxes, most of the time I can receive
whole faxes, with no problem.
--- I've got a canon multipass L6000 and the software for that was giving me
problems.
--- I'm connected to a dsl line with the filter.
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Angela
4 answers Last reply
More about receiving incomplete faxes

    Not much we can tell you without steps to reproduce the problem or error
    messages. If you can pinpoint any of that information, please post back.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone, For some time now i've been using Microsoft Fax (WinXP Pro)
    > and
    > i've been receiving some incomplete faxes, most of the time I can receive
    > whole faxes, with no problem.
    > --- I've got a canon multipass L6000 and the software for that was giving
    > me
    > problems.
    > --- I'm connected to a dsl line with the filter.
    > Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
    > Thanks,
    > Angela

    Hi Russ,
    Thanks for replying. Here is as much info as I can give you. The Line Picks
    up, sounds like it is receiving and then hangs up, as if were received
    already. Fax Console says, There was an error receiving a fax . When I click
    on the fax, it was partially received. The top 1/3 - 1/2 page is actually
    received and the rest of the page is blank, OR if i'm receiving multiple
    pages it will receive a few and then i'll get a page with the 1/3 - 1/2 page
    received and i'll be missing the rest of the pages. It's weird though,
    because it happens mainly when I get a fax from a specific person. She
    doesn't have any problems sending to anyone else, just me. When I receive
    faxes from other people (Even up to 20 pgs) I don't usually get any problems.

    Hope this helps describe my problem.
    Thanks,
    Angela

    Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    they are "compatible" with Windows XP. The DSL line and filter only
    complicate troubleshooting even further.

    These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
    --
    > Hi Russ,
    > Thanks for replying. Here is as much info as I can give you. The Line
    > Picks
    > up, sounds like it is receiving and then hangs up, as if were received
    > already. Fax Console says, There was an error receiving a fax . When I
    > click
    > on the fax, it was partially received. The top 1/3 - 1/2 page is actually
    > received and the rest of the page is blank, OR if i'm receiving multiple
    > pages it will receive a few and then i'll get a page with the 1/3 - 1/2
    > page
    > received and i'll be missing the rest of the pages. It's weird though,
    > because it happens mainly when I get a fax from a specific person. She
    > doesn't have any problems sending to anyone else, just me. When I receive
    > faxes from other people (Even up to 20 pgs) I don't usually get any
    > problems.
    >
    > Hope this helps describe my problem.
    > Thanks,
    > Angela

    There is an "S" register command of the form Sn=x, where n = the register
    number, and x equals a set to number.
    The exact S register n value for a function is modem dependent. The value
    will represent a delay, and may be one or more digits.

    The "S" register of interest is the one that sets the wait time after
    carrier is lost before disconnecting.

    Setting the register value may be a bit of a problem, since the fax mode is
    in use. Values in the appropriate inf file may be overridden by a fax
    program.
    Locating and changing an inf file can be a hassle, and in some cases, the
    modem is recognized as a "standard" faxmodem, complicating things further.

    Task One. Locate the modem documentation (manual, online, etc.) Identify
    the section listing the modem command set and the S registers and settings.

    Task Two Locate the appropriate place to find and modify the modem fax setup
    string, and make the changes.

    > Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many
    > common modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the
    > manufacturers claim they are "compatible" with Windows XP. The DSL line
    > and filter only complicate troubleshooting even further.
    >
    > These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    > enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    > require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    > advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    > on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
    > drivers.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Russ,
    >> Thanks for replying. Here is as much info as I can give you. The Line
    >> Picks
    >> up, sounds like it is receiving and then hangs up, as if were received
    >> already. Fax Console says, There was an error receiving a fax . When I
    >> click
    >> on the fax, it was partially received. The top 1/3 - 1/2 page is actually
    >> received and the rest of the page is blank, OR if i'm receiving multiple
    >> pages it will receive a few and then i'll get a page with the 1/3 - 1/2
    >> page
    >> received and i'll be missing the rest of the pages. It's weird though,
    >> because it happens mainly when I get a fax from a specific person. She
    >> doesn't have any problems sending to anyone else, just me. When I receive
    >> faxes from other people (Even up to 20 pgs) I don't usually get any
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps describe my problem.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Angela

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Fax Microsoft Windows XP