I think I'm losing ground

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I built my system about two months ago. It is comprised of an Asus A7V266-e, a XP 1800 (not overclocked), and a series of CPU fans. Originally, I installed a GlobalWin CBK38. It did a great job of cooling (around 43 degrees under load) but I went deaf trying to work in the same room as my computer. Next I installed a CoolerMaster EP5-6I11 (using the factory provided tact tape as a cooling compound), but the temperature shot up to around 54 degrees.

I realized my case was causing part of the problem. It was a cheap case that I got a deal on. It only had one fan blowing in at the bottom front, and no place for exhaust at the rear. I also have it in an enclosure within my desk. It has approximately eight inches clearance above the case and a total of six inches to the sides. After reading several reviews (and locating some additional cash), I upgraded to a Lian-Li PC-68 with to variable speed front intakes (running at high speed) and one rear exhaust. I also changed the fan again (luckily, I was building several other systems and reuse the components). This time I installed a Noise Control Silverado (running at 12 volts) with Arctic 3 compound. Unfortunately, the temperature now runs 55-58 under load and 48 at idle.

I have checked at the Silverado is seated correctly multiple times. I followed Arctic Silver’s and Noise Control’s directions precisely, but things seem to be getting hotter. I have also operated this system outside the desk enclosure, but I saw no real difference in temperature. I'm using the Asus monitoring program to check the temperature. I would like to overclock this system, but at is temperature range, I think it would be foolish. I am not experiencing any lock ups, but I am worried about the life of the AMD. Any suggestions?

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

Balls_Of_Steel

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Get the alpha pal8045t ( the one w/o the fan) then put a differnt 80 mm fan on it. i think would be a solution to the noise problem. try to get more airflow through your case. Being in the enclosed space youll need alot of it. suggesting 120mm fans for lower noise. See if that helps