when sending fax, get "no dial tone" error

I am using Windows XP, and have applied SP 2. I'm dialing from Europe (R. of
Macedonia)

I know the standard fix for this problem: to uncheck the "wait for dial
tone" box in the modem configuration (control panel > phones & modems >
modems > properties > modem > dial control). I have verified that this box
is unchecked. I have also verified that I can use this very modem to dial up
to my ISP.

Is there some other "wait for dial tone" box somewhere else that I need to
uncheck?

regards,
BR in Skopje

Is the modem connected to an analog line?

--
Shyama Hembram
purposes only.