Sweet lil' case

G

I feel like a lamb being led to the slaughter, seeing that a good number of you are pretty serious modders, and I'm just fooling around with it really. This is my first mod, and I had to talk myself into cutting the side of my pretty case. :lol:

Anyhow, <A HREF="http://forums.firearmsmod.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=129144" target="_new">This is a crappy picture</A> that my roommate took. It looks alright, but it leaves just a little up to the imagination.

By the way, it's a Lian Li PC-42 (microATX) with a 120mm fan and a switch in the back to turn it off should I want to cut the noise down. The next step is to replace the green/amber led's with white and blue ones.

Let me know what you think.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
that's nice, how did you decide on that spot for the fan? Just curious, no flaming. Also are you going for more?

I want to chop my case more, but don't have a dremel and I'm not spending 150$ on it just to cut a few holes on my case. :) Maybe I'll see if I can rent one for a day, they rent everything else.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you can pick up a Black and decker RTX, which is BASICALLY a dremel, for like $70 or something like that...maybe cheaper, maybe more.
i dont know for sure on the price, but think about this, a dremel will come in handy if and when you get a new case, and you can use them around the house, to fix things, and so on.
rotary tools are very handy, not just for case hacking, but for many things.
they are a good and lasting investment.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I have an eye on it for a while now, just trying to find a real good reason to buy it. I have nothing else to cut around the house, unless I go nuts and build a computer into my desk. hmmm

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Well I've got the RTX from Home Depot on sale for $39. It does an ok job but you need steady hands and a good template and a LOT of cutting disks for steel cases. A better option is to go to a rental store. Greenlee makes a center hydraulic hole punch. Cleanest holes I've ever seen. You can probably rent it for $30 for a day. We have one at work back in the shop and it's an easy tool to use. All you need to is mark your spot, drill a 1/2 center hole for the plunger and away you go.

Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!!

G

Thanks for the positive response guys.

What you might not know is that the motherboard mounts on the left side of the case, contrary to 99.9% of most cases. With a case that small, there were very few options for fan placement. Any higher, and it would be facing into the drive bays. To the right is the power supply. Up diagonally is the AGP/PCI slots. I already have a PCI fan taking care of my video card, so I'm not too worried about that section of the case. So, the fan where it is blows right onto the memory, which is just an inch or two away from the processor.

Here are my ideas for my next modifications. First, I'm going to replace the front LED's with white or blue ones. Then, I'm thinking of cutting a long slot in the bottom of my case and putting a neon or cold cathod light in it. Therefore, I'll have blue light comming out of the fan hole and from the bottom of the case!

FatBurger

Illustrious
If you want some serious modding, check out HardOCP.com's forums. There are some insane mods over there.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!