Shared Printer on XP Home takes 45 seconds to open Propert..

December 7, 2004 7:31:02 PM

I have two XP Home PCs in a workgroup. One of them has a USB Canon printer
that is shared. On the other PC, I can see the shared printer and I can
print to it but when I click on Properties it takes 45 seconds for the
Properties Dialog box to open. Once it opens, it takes another 45 seconds
to bring up the Printing Preferences dialog box if I click on that. How can
I fix this? Thanks.
December 9, 2004 7:59:14 AM

This might work, if the Windows firewall is running:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab > put a
check by File and Printer Sharing.

TomC

"Saucer Man" <Saucer Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two XP Home PCs in a workgroup. One of them has a USB Canon printer
> that is shared. On the other PC, I can see the shared printer and I can
> print to it but when I click on Properties it takes 45 seconds for the
> Properties Dialog box to open. Once it opens, it takes another 45
> seconds
> to bring up the Printing Preferences dialog box if I click on that. How
> can
> I fix this? Thanks.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:13:02 PM

Hi Tom.

It was unchecked so I checked it and rebooted but it didn't help. I also
deleted the printer object and re-installed it but it didn't help either.
Thanks for the assistance!

Rich

"TomC" wrote:

> This might work, if the Windows firewall is running:
> Start > Settings > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab > put a
> check by File and Printer Sharing.
>
> TomC
>
> "Saucer Man" <Saucer Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two XP Home PCs in a workgroup. One of them has a USB Canon printer
> > that is shared. On the other PC, I can see the shared printer and I can
> > print to it but when I click on Properties it takes 45 seconds for the
> > Properties Dialog box to open. Once it opens, it takes another 45
> > seconds
> > to bring up the Printing Preferences dialog box if I click on that. How
> > can
> > I fix this? Thanks.

December 10, 2004 3:19:55 AM

I'm seeing this as a very substantial problem with XP and SP2.

Tom --

It seems to occur with PC's that have Nvidea cards (I have 4 Dells with
Nvidea in my office with the problem and 2 Dells with Intel integrated
graphics which do NOT show the problem).

The problem is absolutely associated with the SP2 upgrade. SP1 exhibited no
such problem.

The problem is NOT solved by turning off the Windows firewall.

The problem is NOT solved by upgrading to the latest (or even beta) Nvidea
drivers.

There are plenty of accounts of this problem on the Web, but all of the
"solutions" offered haven't worked yet for me.

Best

Harry

> Hi Tom.
>
> It was unchecked so I checked it and rebooted but it didn't help. I also
> deleted the printer object and re-installed it but it didn't help either.
> Thanks for the assistance!
>
> Rich
>
> "TomC" wrote:
>
>> This might work, if the Windows firewall is running:
>> Start > Settings > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab >
>> put a
>> check by File and Printer Sharing.
>>
>> TomC
>>
>> "Saucer Man" <Saucer Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have two XP Home PCs in a workgroup. One of them has a USB Canon
>> >printer
>> > that is shared. On the other PC, I can see the shared printer and I
>> > can
>> > print to it but when I click on Properties it takes 45 seconds for the
>> > Properties Dialog box to open. Once it opens, it takes another 45
>> > seconds
>> > to bring up the Printing Preferences dialog box if I click on that.
>> > How
>> > can
>> > I fix this? Thanks.

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:13:01 PM

Thanks for the insight Harry.

"Harry Whitehouse" wrote:

> I'm seeing this as a very substantial problem with XP and SP2.
>

> Tom --
>
> It seems to occur with PC's that have Nvidea cards (I have 4 Dells with
> Nvidea in my office with the problem and 2 Dells with Intel integrated
> graphics which do NOT show the problem).
>
> The problem is absolutely associated with the SP2 upgrade. SP1 exhibited no
> such problem.
>
> The problem is NOT solved by turning off the Windows firewall.
>
> The problem is NOT solved by upgrading to the latest (or even beta) Nvidea
> drivers.
>
> There are plenty of accounts of this problem on the Web, but all of the
> "solutions" offered haven't worked yet for me.
>
> Best
>
> Harry
>

> "Saucer Man" <SaucerMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Tom.
> >
> > It was unchecked so I checked it and rebooted but it didn't help. I also
> > deleted the printer object and re-installed it but it didn't help either.
> > Thanks for the assistance!
> >
> > Rich
> >
> > "TomC" wrote:
> >
> >> This might work, if the Windows firewall is running:
> >> Start > Settings > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab >
> >> put a
> >> check by File and Printer Sharing.
> >>
> >> TomC
> >>
> >> "Saucer Man" <Saucer Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:47:02 PM

i had some luck with this problem. turnoff NetBios in the network tcpip
seetings. with this disabled i now get immediate access to the print setup
and dialog boxes. check out MS article 204279 for instructions. it is an
approach! can't be certain it will work for you
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 2:53:03 PM

Thank you BCY1. This solution fixed the problem. I appreciate it!

Rich

"BCY1" wrote:

> i had some luck with this problem. turnoff NetBios in the network tcpip
> seetings. with this disabled i now get immediate access to the print setup
> and dialog boxes. check out MS article 204279 for instructions. it is an
> approach! can't be certain it will work for you

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:27:03 PM

BCY1,

It looks like I posted SOLVED too soon. Although I can open properties
faster now, once I reboot the PC, I can no longer browse the network. I had
to set it back to Default. I wonder if I also have to do something in my
router if I turnoff netbios. Thanks.

Rich

"BCY1" wrote:

> i had some luck with this problem. turnoff NetBios in the network tcpip
> seetings. with this disabled i now get immediate access to the print setup
> and dialog boxes. check out MS article 204279 for instructions. it is an
> approach! can't be certain it will work for you

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:05:06 PM

you might try to check the share files and printers in the firewall options.
if you have a mixed ntwk (win, linux) it is my impression that the netbios
cannot be turned off.

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:59:03 PM

Yea, I checked the firewall settings. I only have 2 Windows XP Home SP2
machines in this workgroup. No Linux. Thanks for the help.

Rich

"BCY1" wrote:

> you might try to check the share files and printers in the firewall options.
> if you have a mixed ntwk (win, linux) it is my impression that the netbios
> cannot be turned off.

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:35:01 PM

so sorry to hear. i have xp pro in a large network environment and at home.
i turned off netbios and things worked great. i did notice that i was unable
to print to our copy machines with the netbios off. so i turned it back on
and viola, now the printer properties are popping right up. it is posible (i
think) that you may need netbios to talk to the router. however, my home
network seemed fine with the netbios off on my laptop. i only use my home
net to share a printer on a desktop, however.

best of luck
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 6:01:01 PM

Check out this article...

It mentions that a LMHOSTS file will be needed if netbios is disabled on a
home network. I added the file and I can browse the network again but the
printer properties still take a long time to come up. Interesting...

"BCY1" wrote:

> so sorry to hear. i have xp pro in a large network environment and at home.
> i turned off netbios and things worked great. i did notice that i was unable
> to print to our copy machines with the netbios off. so i turned it back on
> and viola, now the printer properties are popping right up. it is posible (i
> think) that you may need netbios to talk to the router. however, my home
> network seemed fine with the netbios off on my laptop. i only use my home
> net to share a printer on a desktop, however.
>
> best of luck

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 4:25:46 AM

I had a similar problem. It seem Ok now.
It was fixed accidently by giving each computer a FIXED Ip address. (I
think)
Do not obtain IP address automatically.

I have two win98 computers and two WinXp computers.
One of them is the gateway to the internet and so it is the DNS for my LAN
(I call this one P133).
It also has the printer connected.

The other win98 comp has no trouble printing.
The first Xp(Sp2) computer also no problems printing.

However my New Computer WinXp had the problems you have mentioned about
delays opening printer properties. It also had delays when exploring the C:
drive on P133
using My Network Places\Entire Network.

Because my eldest son got a Wireless Internet connection and I still have
dialup he
had to put 2 network cards in the w98 P133 computer and found he had to give
each computer a
fixed IP address. (He is the network expert? here)

So in my new Xp computer

Local Area Connection Properties
Internet Protocol (TCP/Ip) properties
Use the following ip address ip address
192.168.0.61
subnet
mask 255.255.255.0
default
gateway 192.168.0.1 (ip address of P133 computer (DNS))

Advanced - WINS tab
enable LMHOSTS lookup
Netbios settings - default
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 4:25:47 AM

Hi Tony.

After reading your post I tried to set the IP Address static on my PC but it
didn't work. Thanks for the help.

"Tony Benham" wrote:

> I had a similar problem. It seem Ok now.
> It was fixed accidently by giving each computer a FIXED Ip address. (I
> think)
> Do not obtain IP address automatically.
>

> I have two win98 computers and two WinXp computers.
> One of them is the gateway to the internet and so it is the DNS for my LAN
> (I call this one P133).
> It also has the printer connected.
>
> The other win98 comp has no trouble printing.
> The first Xp(Sp2) computer also no problems printing.
>
> However my New Computer WinXp had the problems you have mentioned about
> delays opening printer properties. It also had delays when exploring the C:
> drive on P133
> using My Network Places\Entire Network.
>
> Because my eldest son got a Wireless Internet connection and I still have
> dialup he
> had to put 2 network cards in the w98 P133 computer and found he had to give
> each computer a
> fixed IP address. (He is the network expert? here)
>
> So in my new Xp computer
>
> Local Area Connection Properties
> Internet Protocol (TCP/Ip) properties
> Use the following ip address ip address
> 192.168.0.61
> subnet
> mask 255.255.255.0
> default
> gateway 192.168.0.1 (ip address of P133 computer (DNS))
>
> Advanced - WINS tab
> enable LMHOSTS lookup
> Netbios settings - default

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:07:03 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

!