Swiftech MCX370 copper vs. aluminum

amd_builder

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Well, I am overclocking my athlon xp 1900+ on a soltek mobo with the Swiftech MCX370 as the heatsink and fan. Unfortunately in my newbness to the subject, I was an idiot and ordered the older version, the one that is all aluminum(atleast I am pretty sure, it has not arrived in the mail yet). Will this be sutable for moderate overclocking or is the difference between copper and aluminum just too great? So in other words, I guess I am asking if the all aluminum Swiftech MCX370 is suitable for the moderate overclocking of an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ or if I will need to buy a copper one /sigh.

Thanks!

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
well there really is no way to tell until you get it all running. From what I've seen most AMD proc's can run up to 60 C+. This will all boil down to stability. I had a copper Antec Jet Cool HSF that ran my Tbird at 51. When I got my XP 1700 it ran at 49. This wasn't 'confortable for me' so I got the MCX462. I got it down to mid 30's then OC'd to 1.606 Ghz and run at 38'ish idle and 41'ish load. Most importantly is the stability and your personal comfort level. I say try it and see where you sit. My 2 Cents Worth.

Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!!

Trumphent

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
Since by now you already have it, go for it. I would inspect the contact surface. It probably has concentric looking machining marks in it. You can lap those out, getting the bottom machine flat at the same time. Then do not apply too much thermal compound. Study how to install the HSF. Proper installation will give even a slightly outdated or even a mediocre HS a working chance. You can also check the mfr website for wattage of heat dissappation and compare that to the output of your processor.

Signature? We don' need no stinkin' signature!

amd_builder

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
The Swiftech MCX370 would still be much better than the retail aluminum heatsink and fan that came with my Athlon XP 1900+ right?
And yes, I will be mounting the heatsink correctly with Arctic Silver 3 so it should be ok but I may not be able to overclock much.

Also, how do you lap a heatsink? I have no clue what lapping is.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
In *MOST* cases an aftermarket HSF is better than OEM or what is 'AMD approved'. Most addon's are better performers than what is the minimum recommendation. I highly doubt you'll have any real problems with the one you ordered. It may not be the biggest/baddest, but I'm sure it'd good. Whether or not it'll limit your OC'ing remains to be seen. Just watch the temps and stability. Cooler is better in most situations, but you shouldn't have any issues with extreme temps. If you do, just back down the CPU FSB a little until you get a 'comfortable' temp for yourself.

As for lapping, it's a pretty word for sanding. I really don't think it'll be necessary. All pourous metals have high and low spots. Unless you get a really bad one(in other words inspect the contact point, see how smooth it is). The smoother it is, the better the contact between the sink and the core, and the more heat it can transfer. Unless you see some major imperfections, I wouldn't worry too much, the silver will fill in the minute scars that all metals have. If it makes you feel better get a fine grit paper 300+ and run it across the bottom. Just make sure you clean it real well afterwards(air, isopropyl(rubbing)alcohol, to clean off any dust you removed. Don't worry so much, you'll be fine. Even a poor heatsink won't cause instant failure of a CPU. High temps over a long time will. If you run at 55 OC'd, you may lose a little life of your CPU(or stability) rather than someone with a monster sink that runs at 40 C. I can't remember what the temp max is for the XP's but I know that for 1 Ghz+ T-birds the high side of temps was in the 90 C range(around 190 F if you're American like myself). I've never seen a HSF get near there, even the OEM's. But lower CPU is better. Most of us here are fanatics and want cool systems for show and peace of mind. My 950 T-bird ran at 50+ for over a year and is still running with no issues. Don't worry unless you have extremely high temps when you get it installed.

Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!!