Newbie & Overclocking Results

VideoMic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
First of all...thanks to Raystonnn & Fatburger for all of their help and insights during this massive upgrade :) I felt a post was in order to let all know how I made out during this upgrade. First the components used;

Abit TH7-II RAID motherboard
4 Samsung PC-800 RDRAMs with ECC
P4 2.2a retail CPU

For the other components (including the memory) I was able to reuse from my Dual P3-800 setup. The case is a standard Antec 1440SX server case with 400W power supply, which has plenty of cooling. I am using the standard retail heatsink so far.

Results...running Windows XP, I considered a successful overclock as being able to boot, run 3D Mark 2001 SE and Super Pi to conclusion. The fastest I have gotten was a 2.750 GHz rating. This is using a 125 MHz FSB, 1.625 core voltage, and a 300 MHz memory bus. I locked the PCI/AGP multiplier and didn't mess with anything else.

Using my old video card (GeForce 3 Ti200) I am able to achieve a 3DMark of 8583 without overclocking the video card. If I mess with the memory speed and core speed I can jump this up another 1200 points or so.

Super Pi was able to compute Pi to the 32 million-th digit through 14 iterations in 52 minutes and 16 seconds. Not bad considering my Dual P3-800 setup did this in over 7 hours!

I haven't been able to achieve a 133 MHz FSB yet, due more than likely not being able to supply a higher core voltage to the CPU or better cooling. But since I don't want to mess with anything extreme (such as liquid cooling, I will wait until I can get a better BIOS that supports higher core voltage. If anyone has suggestions to improve the speed. would be interested in hearing yours :) Again thanks to all in the community....to all that posted helpful info that is :)

VideoMic

FatBurger

Illustrious
Email me at jwfatburger@attbi.com this weekend, or fatburger@iname.com on the weekdays, I'll send you a BIOS that gives you more voltage.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Super Pi was able to compute Pi to the 32 million-th digit through 14 iterations in 52 minutes and 16 seconds. Not bad considering my Dual P3-800 setup did this in over 7 hours!
So can this be classed as a worthwhile benchmark?

Interesting. It fairly chops down the time doesn't it. Good to see an actual task, rather than a score.

<b><font color=blue>~ They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha! ~</font color=blue></b>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, that looks a good benchmark of computing peowess of a processor, assuming all the code is in the cache and the CPU is just computing, free from memory bottlenecks and bandwidth differences. that is, if you run the app on highest proirity. should be good for all processors including Celeron and Duron.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>