Network Printer Problem

Hi,

I have an Epson C84 networked on a DHCP based Win XP Pro SP2 peer-to-peer
network. (The networked printer is attached to a Win XP Pro SP2 machine and
all clients are Win XP SP2.) When one of the clients prints to the shared
printer I get the error "Test page failed to print. Operation could not be
completed."

All the other clients can print OK to the printer. The machine that has the
problem installs the printer driver OK, can see the shared printer OK (via
Network Places) and when the printer driver has been installed the printer
appears to be on-line.

I have disabled Norton Internet Security on both machines and Windows
Firewall is not enabled (on both machines). The NIS logs don't appear to be
logging any relevant events.

Epson support have run out of ideas - has anyone met anything like this
before?
2 answers Last reply
More about network printer problem

    How many PC's are sharing the Printer. XP Pro has a connection limitation of
    10.

    www.coribright.com

    "Dell Boy" <DellBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Epson C84 networked on a DHCP based Win XP Pro SP2 peer-to-peer
    > network. (The networked printer is attached to a Win XP Pro SP2 machine
    > and
    > all clients are Win XP SP2.) When one of the clients prints to the shared
    > printer I get the error "Test page failed to print. Operation could not be
    > completed."
    >
    > All the other clients can print OK to the printer. The machine that has
    > the
    > problem installs the printer driver OK, can see the shared printer OK (via
    > Network Places) and when the printer driver has been installed the printer
    > appears to be on-line.
    >
    > I have disabled Norton Internet Security on both machines and Windows
    > Firewall is not enabled (on both machines). The NIS logs don't appear to
    > be
    > logging any relevant events.
    >
    > Epson support have run out of ideas - has anyone met anything like this
    > before?

    Hi Cari,

    Thanks. I'd forgotten about the connection limit in XP Pro. Four computers
    are sharing the printer but the computer with the shared printer also has a
    file share on it and a LAN email server running on it (all for the same 4
    users). So it might well have reached the connection limit. Do you know how I
    can display a list of connections to the machine?

    Thanks,
    Malcolm

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > How many PC's are sharing the Printer. XP Pro has a connection limitation of
    > 10.

    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Dell Boy" <DellBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have an Epson C84 networked on a DHCP based Win XP Pro SP2 peer-to-peer
    > > network. (The networked printer is attached to a Win XP Pro SP2 machine
    > > and
    > > all clients are Win XP SP2.) When one of the clients prints to the shared
    > > printer I get the error "Test page failed to print. Operation could not be
    > > completed."
    > >
    > > All the other clients can print OK to the printer. The machine that has
    > > the
    > > problem installs the printer driver OK, can see the shared printer OK (via
    > > Network Places) and when the printer driver has been installed the printer
    > > appears to be on-line.
    > >
    > > I have disabled Norton Internet Security on both machines and Windows
    > > Firewall is not enabled (on both machines). The NIS logs don't appear to
    > > be
    > > logging any relevant events.
    > >
    > > Epson support have run out of ideas - has anyone met anything like this
    > > before?

Printers Windows XP