publisher is finding non-existing printer

hi all,
i am having problems with MS Publisher 2003(particularly) and MS Office 2003
Small Business. Anytime i go to file>print there is an error message display,

"""Please choose another printer. Publisher cannot find the printer "Fiery
x3e 31C-M PS' for this publication. To select a different printer click ok.
To return to the publisher click cancel."""

When i click ok i can change the printer but why is it coming up every time?
that printer still exists but the driver is now 1.2 version. also it is not a
default printer.
how can I get this program to work?
When i change the printer to something else and save, program remembers the
next time but. is this right? why would it look for non-existing printer. i
already uninstalls office and reinstalled it, did not help at all.
Any help is appreciate it.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

You may be using a publisher template that has the old printer selected.
The next possibility is that you did not properly uninstall the previous
printer driver, leaving some registry entries related to it.
Finally, you likely reinstalled office in such a way that most of the
settings were saved from the previous install.

"K.C." <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
> i am having problems with MS Publisher 2003(particularly) and MS Office
> 2003
> Small Business. Anytime i go to file>print there is an error message
> display,
>
> """Please choose another printer. Publisher cannot find the printer "Fiery
> x3e 31C-M PS' for this publication. To select a different printer click
> ok.
> To return to the publisher click cancel."""
>
> When i click ok i can change the printer but why is it coming up every
> time?
> that printer still exists but the driver is now 1.2 version. also it is
> not a
> default printer.
> how can I get this program to work?
> When i change the printer to something else and save, program remembers
> the
> next time but. is this right? why would it look for non-existing printer.
> already uninstalls office and reinstalled it, did not help at all.
> Any help is appreciate it.

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

thank you for your response. what do you suggest that i do, just do a clean
install of XP and all the other programs?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Not initially! That is a very drastic solution!
If everything but publisher works correctly, I'd dig into things specific to
it.