Tually Celly, calling it quits

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, maybe 0.13u processor arent as overclockable as we all thought! they are delicate, they need quite a bit of cooling, the low voltage and the increasing the voltage exponentially increases the temperature risks on the processor. I guess the powerleap adapter isnt quite right for overclocking, putting the Celeron 1.2 GHz on a i815EB board with more room and flexibility for better cooling would get you to the 1.6 GHz target, perhaps higher than that!

Is that 1.5 GHz the top speed?

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It was a tough balance between voltage and heat. At 1.6GHz/1.85v, it overheated, but the Powerleap adapter did as well, so it could have been the adapter giving the problem. Although the Powerleap SHOULD support 1.85 volts without overheating, I don't think it has the AMPERAGE CAPACITY necessary to do so on this CPU. It could have been a defective unit, but a hunch tells me it was more likely a flaw in the design. I didn't want to burn up another adapater, so I didn't push this one past 1.65v. At that voltage I only got to around 1350MHz. I didn't even bother to check to see if this one was running correct voltage levels either.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It must be the adaptor, or maybe a lemon chip.

Mine does 1500 at the default voltage with the retail h/s & fan on an Abit ST6. As it's the company file/print server I keep it running at 1200. It'll crunch a SETI workunit in just over 6 hrs @ 1200 compared to over 10 hrs with the celery-1000 workstations.

- JW

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ohh, that sucks. Well, you can always get a 1GHz A Celeron Tually and overclock it to 1333MHz. That should be significantly easier.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I'd be willing to swap this to anyone for a Celery 1000 Tualatin. Geeze, that would be perfect, I might be able to get 150FSB with that. If you know anyone who wants a 1200 Tualatin at stock speed, let them know!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

TRENDING THREADS